Friday, February 3, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent.

Making my own laundry detergent would never have occurred to me. I'm pretty loyal to Tide. But I was given a jar to try {along with a very convincing list of reasons to use it} so I decided to keep an open mind and give it a shot.


We've probably done a dozen or so loads with it, and I'm pretty happy with the results. The laundry is definitely softer, and the stain fighting is good. In fact, Skylar accidentally squirted green food coloring on a shirt last week and I didn't even bother to treat it or wash it right away because I figured it was a goner. I was shocked to see that it all came out.

The only negative is the absence of that clean, perfume-y smell I'm used to from the Tide. The Fels Naptha has a distinct smell, it's not bad, just different.

The recipe:

1 cup of Borax
1 cup of Washing Soda
1 bar of Fels Naptha Soap (grated up)

Mix ingredients and store in an airtight container. Use 1.5 Tablespoons per load of laundry.

Some reasons to give it a try:

-Safe for regular and HE washers.
-Great for babies (no dye, perfumes, etc) so no need to buy the special baby detergent.
-Earth friendly, no giant plastic bottles.
-Since you use such a small amount of detergent per load, it lasts forever.
-Budget friendly. Laundry for a whole year for only $20? That's what I spend on detergent every month.
-If you don't like the smell, I'm told you can substitute a different bar of soap for the Fels Naptha, but I haven't researched this.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmmm. I've never even considered trying this because it seems like something our side ponytailed friend might try, but if you did it, and you liked it, then maybe I will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahaha. You're so right. I need a side ponytail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmm I'm thinking I'll give this a try ASAP. I HATE buying laundry detergent ... so if you say it's worth it, I'll take your word!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...