Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Chicken with tomatoes, apricots, and chickpeas.

This is a fast, healthy, and tasty. It's one of my stand-by recipes pulled from an old magazine.

Ingredients:

4 boned, skinless chicken breast halves (I butterfly mine to make them thinner, so a pack of 3 breasts gives me 6 pieces after they are cut. If you aren't sure how to butterfly go here.)

salt and pepper

1 T. olive oil

3 minced garlic cloves

1 T. sugar (or splenda)

2 tsp. cumin

1 1/2 tsp. coriander

1/4 tsp. cayenne (I use extra for a little kick!)

1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes

1/3 c chopped dried apricots

1/4 c chopped flat-leaf parsley (I think it tastes better with cilantro)

Sprinkle chicken breasts with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat 1 T of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, then add the cumin, coriander and cayenne (I know it seems like a lot of spices, but it won't be too much so don't skimp). Add chicken and cook until golden brown, turning once, about 6 minutes. (Don't mess with the chicken, walk away if you have to. It won't get a nice crust if you flip it too soon.) Transfer to a plate and set aside. Add can of diced tomatoes, apricots, sugar and garlic. Return chicken to pan and let it simmer covered until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Stir in 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed, and 1/4 cup of chopped flat leaf parsley or cilantro. Cook until heated through. Serves 4.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I'm trying this=) I have to giggle...Charlie's mom always said 'golden brown' when baking cookies. Of course, she liked them burnt, which we didn't like=P Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good! I love your recipes and I can't wait to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like another winner-------just have to get the coriander.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl this sounds so good...however, something tells me Steve would object. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...