Friday, April 23, 2010

To sleep or to hypothetically decorate.......

It's late and I'm tired, but I haven't been able to sleep much the past two weeks. Partly because we are about to enter into the greatest debt of our lives, but mostly because I have a giant blank canvas waiting to be filled and the possibilities are endless. I've never known ahead of time what the house I was moving to was going to look like. This is a first. I've got the furniture mentally arranged in all the rooms, and now I'm pretend-sewing curtains and throw pillows. Why didn't I think to measure the windows during those 20 minutes we had at the house before we left town?

Decorating aside, this whole house-buying thing is turning out to be pretty stressful. It doesn't help that we're in South Carolina, the seller is in Seattle, our lender is in Connecticut, and the realtor and house are in New York. It's a logistical nightmare getting all the necessary paperwork to all the necessary places with all the necessary signatures. Then there's the home inspection, which was great except for one teeny tiny not-so-little problem.....a water leak from the master bath on the second floor to the basement that will require tearing out the kitchen wall. The seller agreed to our offer on the condition that we take the house as-is. So as soon as we close, out goes the kitchen wall. (We got an estimate, and it really isn't nearly as serious or expensive as it sounds.)

But that means after we patch up that wall it will need to be PAINTED!

So let's talk paint colors, because that's so much more fun than sleeping.

The house is already painted in great neutral colors and doesn't really need to be painted. But neutrals are safe, and I've never been one to shy away from a bright paint color. I've painted walls various shades of red, blue, green and yellow. For some reason I always get hung up on blue. I love it. I love the idea of it. But once I slap it up on my walls I just can't live with it.

All this to say, I think I'm ready to give blue another try. It's been 8 years since my ill-fated blue walls. Maybe we can be friends again.
I've decided to approach it differently this time: I'm not even going to look at the color swatches. All those varying shades make my head hurt and cloud my instincts. Instead I'm going to find my colors either in pictures or objects around me and take them to the store. The paint mixing computer can match any object I can carry in there.

I started looking around my house and I have a lot more blue than I realized. It's definitely snuck it's way into my life.

I've always been drawn to blue glass and I think if I went around the house and gathered it up I might be getting dangerously close to having a.....gasp....collection.


It might sound crazy (Micah thought so) but I really want to paint my kitchen walls aqua. I love aqua and red together. I know it's hard to imagine, just trust me. Fabulosity in a can:
The only thing holding me back is the floor. It's a checkerboard with kind of a muted turquoise-y color. I think I need something more neutral with it. So I'm thinking an aqua with more grey. I'm going for tranquility, not a punch in the face.
I've never done real grey before, so I think I might give it a try in the dining room. It's neutral, but different for me. I kind of like this one......
But this is a little more dramatic, and I do like drama on my walls.....

And you see the turquoise color in my shower curtain? I have big plans for that turquoise.

There is an amazing consignment shop down the road and it has all kinds of great, cheap, vintage furniture finds. I have vowed (in the wee hours of the night) that I will paint something that shade. Maybe a dresser. Maybe a bed. Maybe a small woodland creature. Not sure yet. But it's going to be cute, cute, cute when I'm done.

10 comments:

  1. Your talents abound! I can't wait to see!
    Love you!
    Hugs to all...Hugs to all..hugs to all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what you do!! I love to paint too! The main room of our house is 'artichoke' green. (I don't care what anyone says, the name of the color matters). The nursery is a periwinkle blue, my office is sunkist orange, our room is a lighter shade of green, and the halfwall downstairs is a chestnut brown. Paint is just SO much fun!

    I can't wait to see what you come up with! I want a full tour when you get it all setup!!

    Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keri, I love aqua! I just wish that more of the things in my house contained that color. It seems that I tend to lean toward the rustic colors when it comes to furniture. One of my favorite rooms is our office, it of course contains all the colors of a true wildcat fan. :) If only I could paint that walls purple-ha!

    Color is great and I can't wait to see your new home once you are all finished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE aqua too... its the accent in my living room...what I like most about it is depending on how the light hits it and the coordinating decoration around it the aqua can almost take on varying shades or gray and peuter. Keri it will be glorious!! I can't wait to see it all done and I can't think of anything more fun than laying awake at night decorating and entire EMPTY house. :) So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buying a house really stinks, but it'll be all over soon and then it will be yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chuckled all the way through this. I told your Dad you were probably lying awake at night, decorating your new house in your head! Kitchen appliances went through an aqua stage (or was that bathrooms..?) Anyway, it would look great with the black and white check. Are you going to pain anything "Goldfish"? I got a lot of compliments on that room! Don't tell Papa you're going to paint wood.....that's a no-no! Can't wait to see it all! I'll keep Skylar for you while you decorate....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I interior decorate in my head all the time. Have you seen myhomeideas.com? Lots of pictures to inspire you!I have already found my perfect little girls room and perfect kitchen from that website. Have fun decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mrs. Rue,
    I saw your site because one of my dear friends is an Army wife friend of yours. I have been to your blog a couple times and thoroughly enjoy it because you and I are twinkies - although I married the Navy. Otherwise, I have dogs, we have a daughter that we are sure makes the sun rise, I love being a SAHM, I craft, I sew, I cook, I love being a Mom, and I am crazy in love with my husband. Regarding paint: our great room and kitchen in Virginia is painted after many blue swatches with Navy I by Laura Ashley. It is lovely. The floors are white wash wood. Grey walls - gorgeous and my mother has them in Kansas and they are beautiful. I want to say the color is Mica and it is a Martha Stewart grey. Enjoying your blog in Virginia :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angela-it sounds like you have my kind of walls:)
    Amanda-thanks for the website, I can't wait to check it out!
    Becky in Virginia-thanks for the color suggestions, I am def going to look them up. Oh, and it's nice to know I have a cyber twinkie out there:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do have a cyber twinkie. :) The Martha Stewart grey at my Mom's is heaven and it makes everything else pop. Are you also a KStater because that would "twink" again and I too drive a Passat. Enjoy your blog. Blessings to all of you. Becky in Va. Home is where the Navy (or Army) sends you. :) PS My friend is Amanda. She is an angel.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...