Thursday, June 23, 2011

And then you grow up.

It's such a bummer that some of the things you think are so amazing as a kid completely lose their magic as an adult.I was really excited to take Skylar to the beach.
She's only been once, and never in the summer. She loved it. She was both thrilled and terrified by the waves. And loved the sand. Rolled in the sand. Got herself soaking wet and rolled in the sand again. And again. And again. And.....ohmygosh somebody please make it stop!!!!And suddenly, as a parent faced with the prospect of removing all of those grains of sand from her little body, the stroller, the bags, the shoes........the beach wasn't so fun for me anymore.
I was completely stressed out watching her fill every nook and cranny with sand. I realized I really could do without it. The salt water isn't all that fun either. And sharks can eat you. I never even thought about sharks when I swam in the ocean until I had children.

I'd take a nice chlorinated lazy river over a swim in the ocean any day. And I never thought I'd say that. I'm a sell out.

A walk on the beach is nice. But that's about it.

Finley slept through his first day at the beach, which is just as well.
He's really more of a lazy river kind of guy. (And if I could have photo-shopped a Corona in his little hand, I totally would have).

4 comments:

  1. love it (: it was so great to get to meet you guys! your family was such a blessing to us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean! My children have never been to the beach and we only live about 3 hours away from it! I'm trying to decide if it's worth it. I love the new look of your blog! Beautiful colors and that picture is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The smell of the ocean, the lapping waves, the seagulls, the jelly fish that sting, undertow that took as as kids far out and away and not for my uncle John remaining calm and encouraging us to keep tredding and letting us rest on his back while he kept us going until we could make our way to shore a long long way from where we started. Hmmmm..I still like the ocean. But repect it! ;)
    Skylar looked so happy tho! Good job Mommy! Little man looked perfect as always! giggle giggle..so laid back!
    Mimi misses you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...