Monday, November 8, 2010

Collections.

I am not a collector. In fact, I am anti-collection. It's fine for other people, but there was never anything I wanted to collect.

Except maybe shoes. And scarves. And earrings. Does clothing count? Nah.

I did collect starburst wrappers when I was ten (please remember I was homeschooled and never got to eat candy). And my sisters had a sweet collection of key chains.

What about sippy cups? We definitely have a collection of those (and this doesn't even include the half dozen strewn around the house and car)..... Basically, I am opposed to the idea of a glass case full of creepy china dolls or stuffed animals. Or a deafening chorus of wind chimes on the porch. Or a grouping of Hallmark figurines of any kind. Or those stained glass thingy's that hang from suctions cups on a window. Or even having 50 serving bowls when I only use 2 or 3 at a time. (No offense if one of those is your fave).

Anyway, it's funny how collections sneak up on you. They start out as things you are drawn to and subconsciously start to accumulate like when I unpacked and realized I had 16 candlesticks. Or maybe other people notice you like something and they start gifting you more of them and then one day you wake up and you are driving around with 500 beanie babies displayed in your car. (Let's hope not).

The other day I was at the sink and I realized that what started out as three inkwells in my window sill is accumulating......

It's on it's way to being a collection. And I'm okay with that.

So maybe I'm a collector after all. Maybe we all are. As long as we don't end up on "Hoarders: Buried Alive" I guess it's okay.

3 comments:

  1. I think something about having kids produces collections. I am CONSTANTLY throwing out sippy cups and little plastic toys that I can't remember where we got them from.

    I envy your inkwell collection, they would last about 5 minutes around here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok and I just heard Beautiful Scandalous Night in your player for the first time ever. Wonderful.

    Thanks! You bless my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to collect Starbucks giftcards. I had about $65 from last Christmas and it was a beautiful two months for me.

    I also like Willow Tree figurines, but I like to put them in different spots around the house and not in one big case.

    Devin still has his skateboard sticker collection. He's 30. He's the one who'd end up on Hoarders, and I'd be frustrated spouse.

    I no longer feel bad about making fun of homeschooled kids, Ms. Starburst Wrapper.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...