Friday, January 23, 2009

Public displays of ignorance

Don't you hate when you are out somewhere and there is a woman screaming at her children? It has always bothered me, but it especially bothers me now that I have Skylar. I was at the commissary today and I could hear this woman in another aisle yelling at her two little boys. She sounded completely rediculous (actually I think she needed medication), and it was obvious why her kids were misbehaving. Everytime her kids screamed she would scream back at them even louder. I felt so sorry for those little boys. I had to listen to her the entire time I was in there, and it was REALLY bothering me. I know these military wives are more stressed than the average mom with their husbands being deployed, but seriously, if they could hear themselves I really think (hope!) they would be mortified. I promised Skylar I would never scream at her like that. I really hope we can raise her in a peaceful, respectful home and that even on my most stressful days I don't take it out on her. It's easy to say when she's just a baby and still cute and sweet---but that's my goal!















Skylar still won't crawl, getting up on all fours is about as good as it gets before she gives up and starts rolling. I'm fine with that because it means I don't have to chase her around yet. (The thought did cross my mind that she might be unmotivated and therefore living in our basement when she's 30.) What she lacks in physical prowess she compensates for in mental aptitude. She now says mama, dada, and "more" when she's eating. I kept doing the sign for more (she did it once so we know she is capable) when she just out of the blue said "mmmmmore". If Nicole hadn't been sitting there I would have thought I'd imagined it. She just kind of looked at us like "duh, I don't need signs, I can just say it". Since then she's said it several more times!

2 comments:

  1. Oh if only you could see what I have to see at Baby Gap sometimes. It's really heartbreaking. I see teenage moms shelling out big bucks for cute outfits, but they don't know how to properly hold a newborn baby, or have a 2 month old slumped over in one of those rented mall strollers or dangling out of a baby bjorn that isn't hooked on correctly. Then there are the wonderful ghetto shoplifters that of course bring their 2 year olds. Arrgh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same experience the other day. I was pumping gas and there was a lady in the drive thru at KFC (all the way across the street) who had gotten out of her car, opened the back door of her car just to yell at her children (who, of course, were yelling right back). Yikes.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...