Thursday, January 15, 2009

The time has come.....

Okay, so the time probably came several months ago, I've just been avoiding it.

It's a new year as you know. So along with everyone else and their mama's cousin, I finally joined a gym. I could have taken Skylar to hourly care on post starting at 6 weeks old, but then I would have had to pay $35 a week to work out 1 1/2 hours a day monday thru friday. Obviously a gym membership with childcare included is a much better deal. So my next plan was to wait until Skylar was 6 months old so I could take her to the childcare at 24 fitness. Then I found out my sister was coming, so I figured I would just have Nic watch her while I went on post and save the money instead. The only problem is, I can't base my gym schedule on Nicole or Micah's availability.....it just allows way too many opportunities to get out of it.

The "Aha" moment came last week when Micah casually walked by and did the ol' butt slap. Except that I noticed how my butt jiggled for a full minute afterwards. (Okay, so slight exaggeration...but only slight!) There are a few post-baby body changes that I am willing to accept, mostly because I have no choice. A jelly-bowl tush is not one of them.

I have a love/hate relationship with working out. Once I get into my routine everything is great! However, the "routine" part of it is a precarious thing. A few unavoidable glitches in my schedule, and there goes my routine....permanently. So after shopping around, I settled on the YMCA downtown. Micah gets a free membership being military and it's only $35 a month for me, with childcare and somewhere between 25 and 30 classes included. PERFECT. Now I have no excuses!

So yesterday was day one. Micah and I decided to go to the deep water aerobics class. I didn't think he'd do it with me, but since he'd already worked out that morning, I guess he figured he had nothing to lose. It was just bonus calories burned for him. Micah loves doing two-a-days, I can only think of few things that sound worse to me.

So we get to water aerobics, strap our little floaties around our waists (color coded for various levels of bouyancy--I chose the least bouyant, thankyouverymuch) and jump into the deep end with all the grannies and one random middle-aged man (and here I was worried about putting on a bathing suit....) It starts off fine, she has us jogging in a big circle, cross country skiing in a big circle, switching directions, etc for about 20 minutes. It's definately a cardio work-out and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. THEN we started all of these underwater leg excercises and things got more difficult. Nothing however, prepared me for the dumbells. Innocent looking styrofoam circles capable of making a grown person cry like a schoolgirl. (Also color-coded for various levels of resistence--I chose the easiest one this time). About 40 minutes into the class I am checking the clock every 15 seconds willing it to go faster. It occurs to me that maybe Skylar needs me, I should go check on her. No. I'm going to stay.
By 50 minutes into the class I am ready to sink to my watery grave. Except I can't die, I have a floatie holding me up. We did ab work in the water, my most hated thing ever. Micah claimed it did nothing, I definately felt it. Finally, mercifully, it ended and then I felt great!!! Overall I would say it was an awesome full-body work-out with no sweating or impact. Difficult, but not impossible....except for a few of those dumbell excercises, but that's because I have no upper-body strength. I can't wait to try the Nia class--some sort of weird dancing combo thing. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. Aww thanks for posting on my blog again! That made me feel a lot better. I really was worrying that I should have maybe not said so much about gaining weight, but what can I say? It freaked me out.

    I guarantee it was a smart move to get a gym membership with childcare included. You'll work out just to get a break (and a shower). Sometimes I'll only work out for 20 minutes and then spend 45 minutes showering and getting ready!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...