Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Infestation.

We have a major insect problem around here.

Historically, black crickets have been my least favorite bug. They are completely disgusting. When I lived at Spring Canyon for a year after college, they would come up through the shower drain and I would have to kill 3-4 of them and wipe up their little cricket guts before I could shower. I think it has something to do with the way they jump, and the sound of their crunchy shells being squished. :::shudder:::

Until this past week when my new nemises showed up: The Moth.

I don't know where they come from or how they all get in, but it's out of control. I killed 7 in my kitchen window within 5 minutes of waking up. And that was just one window. The next morning one flew into my scrambled eggs while I was making them and died in the hot pan. That night I turned on the fan in our bedroom and peices of dead moths flew out at me. Oh the horror. Last night I opened the fridge---and a moth flew out and hit me in the face. If I open a window they come flying out of the curtains at me. They are everywhere. My life is beginning to feel like an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

I spend a significant part of my day killing moths and wiping up their powdery residue. Jack also spends quite a bit of time hunting and eating moths, which is a big help, and might help him burn a few extra calories. Skylar gets a kick out of watching them fly around, but I'm afraid she's going to eat one too. I don't know how to get rid of them. I know they make moth balls for a reason, but I'm not sure how to use them.

3 comments:

  1. I read in the Colorado Springs paper that this is going to be a bad moth year. I'd train Sabot to hunt them as well. Zeke and Zoe are doing a pretty good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate all bugs except ladybugs, and unfortunately I am passing on this hate to Addison, who FLIPS OUT if a fly buzzes into the room. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is disgusting. i hate bugs. mostly i hate flying bugs. they are gross and shouldn't exist...including ladybugs! (sorry marie, they are scary little things.) one time i had a cricket in my bedroom and joanna wouldn't let me kill it cause she said that'd be bad luck. it was HORRIBLE.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...