Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Because more is more.

I think I'm starting to hate toys.

Until this past Christmas, Skylar didn't have many toys. Most of them were gifts and they all fit into one basket in the living room. I intentionally tried to minimize all of the colored, talking, beeping, honking, music playing plastic that I knew she would only play with for 5 seconds. Instead she played with Tupperware, kitchen spoons, pots, containers of water, Christmas bows....whatever I had around the house.

Then Christmas rolled around and Micah and I got her an adorable kitchen set that I think I love more than she does. (Yes, it is from the pottery barn but we bought got it on Craig's list for a steal and I am not above buying my child used toys for christmas. Especially not hand-me downs from rich kids whose parents don't mind paying a premium for fake appliances that cost as much as real ones).
Our extended family generously accessorized it with pots, pans, crates of cutting food, a baking set, three aprons, a mixer, and more utensils than most people have in a real kitchen. Then there was the iron and ironing board, broom, vacuum with detachable dustbuster, and on and on. Everything a domestic goddess in training could ever need. Skylar is incredibly spoiled by her grandparents, aunts, and uncles on both sides of the family. (Thank goodness Hannah came along to share the spotlight!!)

So now her room looks like this on a good day:
And I have a new hobby that includes velcroing together crates of cutting fruit. I've tried hiding her most annoying toys under the bed, but she always finds them. I realized the other day as I was putting together 8 wooden puzzles for the 99th time that this was only her second Christmas. It's going to get worse with each passing year. Much worse.

So I need a system. Something like a bookshelf with bins that are labeled that I can just throw toys in. I think a trip to IKEA might be in order. After all, the cure for too much stuff is always to buy stuff to hold the stuff right? Yikes.

8 comments:

  1. That is one adorable little kitchen. Re-velcroeing fake food is not one of my favorite activities, so it's all in pieces in those plastic bins w/ drawers in which you speak. Do you have an Ikea there? I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skylar looks like she saying, "Whoops? Who made this mess?" Isn't she just adorable?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how I remember those days! That kitchen set really is adorable....we just had the Fisher Price one...didn't even know they made ones that looked like that! So neat for her! Aunt Raina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Keri. I SO know how you feel. If I don't stay on top of it, toys will take over my house in one afternoon! What a cute kitchen! We made a rule at our house. When we felt the children had enough toys we told them that whenever they got a new toy they had to get rid of an old one. That keeps the toys to a minimum. We also have a big tub that we just throw all the toys into. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you talking about a stand mixer? Well tht just isn't fair...she's only had two christmas's and she already has one? I waited like 25...sigh...oh well if I had found the set on craigslist first I would have bought it too. Seriously if you are open to an organizing suggestion ( yes yes I know go ahead and chuckle)...I have literally boxed up toys and put them in storage for a month or two and then I pull them out after a bit and rotate their toys and put the one's they've had out in storage for a couple months. Make sense? It might help cut down on the amount that she has accessible if anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, I feel your pain. I hate toys too! It seems like our house is nothing but toys at times. My day usually goes like this, pick up toys, vaccum, pick up toys, eat, pick up toys, pick up toys...on and on.

    Lucky for us, we have a toy closet under the stairs, it is our toy dump. I have even gone as far as asking everyone to not give toys at birthdays and holidays. That doesn't always go over the greatest. At least they know that the always can use PJ's and books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tips girls! And Marie, we don't have an IKEA here, but there's one in Charlotte a little over an hour away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if cavemen had a similar problem... bones and sticks? I do know when we lived in Rolla the kids would play in a cave where we went rappeling. They loved the dirt and bones and sticks and stones they found. Thank goodness they never wandered too far into the cave. They never foud any bats. Crawly things, yes. Bath time left a ring like you would not believe!
    Ahhh memories! Can't wait to get her on the farm and see what she finds.. black snakes, chiggars, mice, lots of horsey poo. (Textures)
    Please come visit this summer.. I hope this did not scare you off.
    HUGS! love you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...