Monday, February 8, 2010

The cake mix cookie.

Did ya'll have a good super bowl? (Did I just say ya'll? Why yes, yes I did. When in Rome.....)

We went over to our new friend Kate's house for a get-together and ate an obscene amount of food. I don't remember a second of the game, but I had a great time talking. Skylar had fun with her new friend, Athena, a quirky 6 year old with spiral curls that Skylar can't get enough of (that is until Athena locked her in a kennel and wouldn't let her out...but they were able to get past that and their friendship is stronger than ever now).

Anyway, I recently rediscovered an old recipe. A couple of weeks ago I made dinner to take over to a family who had just had their sixth child and my plan was to make a brownie mix I had in the pantry. An hour before I was supposed to take the food over, I found out that the brownie mix I thought I had did not in fact exist. I only had a cake mix. I didn't have a can of frosting or enough butter to make my own frosting or enough time to bake a cake and let it cool so I could even frost it for that matter......

Then I remembered my old friend the cake mix cookie and the day was saved (because you know I couldn't have taken dinner without including a dessert, it's just not a "love meal" without the sugar.)

So in case you've never met my chocolatey friends, allow me to introduce you.......

Never have five ingredients tasted so good. Granted, if you are opposed to preservatives and gratuitous amounts of sugar, than this recipe is not for you. I laugh in the face of sugar. And you can't beat the convenience.

Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies

1 pkg. chocolate cake mix
1/2 c. rolled oats
1 c. (6 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. butter, melted
2 eggs, slightly beaten

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients in large bowl and blend well. On ungreased cookie sheet, drop rounded teaspoonfuls of dough 2" apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Makes about 6 dozen cookies.

If your one of my high-altitude friends, you'll probably have to add 1/4 cup of flour, although I'm not really sure because I never made them when we lived in Colorado. Toss in some dried cherries to make them even better.

Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. As always... Yummmmmmmmy!
    Dog kennel? Giggle!
    Love you guys!
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...