Wednesday, March 2, 2011

When teachable moments go wrong.

Skylar was asking for a coconut in the commissary a few weeks ago. As a general rule, anytime she requests a fruit or vegetable--even things like kumquats and star fruit that I don't think are very good--I buy it for her. Even if it's ridiculously expensive. I know I get in a rut buying the same old things I like to eat, and I'd rather encourage a produce addiction then have her begging for french fries or candy. Plus I want to expand her horizons.

Anyway, this was her first coconut. We brought it home and she's pretty much been kicking it around like a soccer ball for a couple of weeks. Then today she had a little friend over and I thought it would be fun if they got to crack it open and try it together. First they listened to the coconut milk swishing around. Then the anticipation grew as we went and got a hammer and screw driver. By the time that sucker was open they were quivering with excitement.

I put two straws in the coconut milk and watched them eagerly take a swig....and then start gagging and choking and spitting and......crying?

Hmmmm. That wasn't supposed to happen. I have fond memories of drinking milk out of a coconut with a straw.

I decided to try a piece and OHMYGOSH it was nasty. Completely rotten.

Whoops.

Hopefully this hasn't turned them both off coconut forever. Sorry girls......

1 comment:

  1. I did not think they got old...Duh! Hmmm but add to it that it came from the commissary! Yeowwwwww! Looks like it is time for a trip to Florida for a fresh version. Or how about a cruise?
    Hug Skylar for me...Mimi sends lots of love her way and tell Kanga I can't wait to hold him!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...