Thursday, September 15, 2011

What to do with fabric scraps.

Here are a few ways I've been using scraps and leftover pieces of fabric {since I have lots of projects but NO quilting aspirations}.

Last summer I used a hodge podge of fabric squares to recover the bench in the guest room....


Before that there was Skylar's little pillow that has become her favorite and she sleeps on every night.


I came across this pin cushion idea a couple of years ago and stashed it in the back of my brain. I remember from sewing with my Nana how handy they are. So when I came across a sturdy little tea cup for $1 at a local antique store, I brought it home, washed it and approximately 3 minutes later....voila!....pin cushion. I don't love the way it looks, but it works.


Home made taggies. All the credit for this goes to Cynthia, who showed me one she had made in her sewing class. She did not however give me any instructions. It appears easy, but I had to rip that sucker apart four times before I got it right. So do yourself a favor and google a tutorial or contact Cynthia to save yourself some time. Or just think it through before you start...that's always helpful. After you figure out, it's a piece of cake.

Since it has crinkly plastic in the middle, Finley loves to play with his. Not only does it use up fabric scraps and an old wipey bag, they also help deplete my enormous ribbon supply....win, win, win.


Then of course there are the easy applique tee's that make an appearance annually....


I also went through a fleeting head band stage a couple of winters ago....


A couple other ideas that I may eventually try are these coasters and this wreath.

If you have any other fun/useful ideas feel free to pass them along!

2 comments:

  1. I need to start putting my scraps to useful purposes. I find them that I shove them in a tub, thinking I will do this later or that later. It never happens! I love your bench cover! Super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I had a taggie in Finley's original package. I hope you got our card! I'm soo excited that our new home has space in the office for a sewing area! Maybe I'll finish some of the projects I started over a year ago...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...