Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Favorite Summer Dessert

I have something of a cookbook fetish. Even though you can get any recipe you could ever need off the Internet, I want a library of cookbooks just because I love them. My cookbooks are also pretty dirty---they look used. You can tell how much I like the recipe by the number of splatters on the page.

One of my favorite cookbooks is Chocolate Holidays by Alice Medrich. I picked it up a couple of winters ago in Seattle and have loved everything I've made from it. Not only does it have yummy and innovative dessert ideas, but they are easy to make and look way more impressive than they really are. I also love that the recipes are organized seasonally, like Warm Chocolate Gingerbread for winter and Chocolate Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches for summer.

So here is a recipe for one of the most perfect desserts ever. It's light, chocolaty, AND fruity. Best of all, it doesn't make you feel yucky or stuffed--and it's always a crowd pleaser.

Hazelnut Chocolate Meringue with Blackberries

Meringue: 3/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips

1/2 c. hazelnuts, toasted and chopped

2/3 c. sugar

3 egg whites

1/8 tsp cream of tartar

Filling: 1 cup heavy cream

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1 Tbsp sugar

1 1/2 pints of blackberries, rinsed and dried

Beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. On high speed, gradually add 1/3 c. sugar, about a Tbsp at a time over the course of 1 1/2 minutes until glossy and stiff peaks form. Fold in toasted hazelnuts, chocolate chips and 1/2 c. sugar just until incorporated. Trace a 9 inch circle onto parchment paper, flip over paper so the outline shows, and spread meringue into outline of circle leaving a raised edge to form a shallow shell. (If your fancy you can use a pastry bag and round tip and pipe a raised border).

Bake at 300 degrees for 10-15 minutes until meringue begins to turn golden. Turn oven down to 200 degrees and bake for 2 hours. Beat cream, vanilla and sugar until nearly stiff. Fill the meringue shell with whipped cream and mound with berries. Refrigerate until needed. Serves 8.

I prefer to use strawberries, or a combination of berries. I also make chocolate whipped cream instead of plain by adding some cocoa powder. If I don't have hazelnuts I just omit them. This dessert could easily be made into individual sized meringue cups, which I have yet to try but I think would be really cute for a dinner party or shower. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...