Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Romantic Getaway

Last weekend Micah and I went to Vail to celebrate our upcoming 5th anniversary! It was our first time leaving Skylar overnight--2 nights actually! Gayle generously flew out to take care of her (it took a lot of convincing, as you can imagine). Skylar had a great time and had no idea we were even gone.

We were so excited to come home and see her after 52 hours away (not that I was counting) and she was like "Oh, hey...I remember you guys...now where's my Granbabe!" We missed her way more than she missed us, which is a good thing. Now that we've left her once and it all went so well, we will definitely be doing it again.
We stayed at the relaxing and luxurious Arabelle at Vail Square. We even had a personal butler assigned to our room. We didn't know what to do with him really. Shoe shine? What? We wear chacos...
This was the view of the square from the lobby window:
And on the other side we were just yards from the lift. Not that it made much difference in May.
We had the most amazing chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us in the room. This was also one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. It had so many layers of down it was like sleeping in a cloud. We may have dripped strawberry juice on the nice white duvet within five minutes of getting there.....okay, we did.
This is Micah gazing into the fire and contemplating life. Or maybe just planning his Sasquatch hunting trip on Pikes Peak. That's right.....we saw a special on the History Channel. Big Foot is in Colorado Springs and has been sited on Pike's Peak. We think he does The Incline when nobody's looking.
Probably the highlight for me was the bathroom. In addition to it's heated marble floors, phone, and many spa-amenities, it had an amazing soaking tub with a flat screen TV. I took 3 baths while I was there. Had there been a mini-fridge stocked with diet coke I'd have had no reason to ever leave.
Another highlight was talking to a Bellhop who is also a firefighter. Of course once I heard he was a firefighter I asked him if he knew Ryan Sutter who is married to Trista (from the Bachelorette in case you don't know, which of course you do.) It turns out, Ryan is his Lieutenant and a good friend, so I got to hear all about the Sutters and how normal they are in spite of their celebrity status. I felt like I had the inside scoop, which of course, I didn't because it's not like guys talk about anything good at work so how much could the bellhop really know?
My dreams of laying by the pool were quickly shattered by the cold, rainy forecast for the entire weekend. There was even snow on the slopes:
We decided to check out the rooftop pool anyway. Here's the view from the roof:

The only thing that could tempt me into the water was the hot tub. Micah on the other hand jumped back and forth between the frigid pool and the hot tub, shrieking with glee. It must be the Finnish blood in him.
We found out there was a Blues, Brews & BBQ festival in Beaver Creek, so off we went. It was pouring rain, but we weren't going to let a little bad weather keep us away from some good food. We could smell the smoke and BBQ, but couldn't find a parking spot, so Micah got a little cranky.
The frustrations evaporated as soon as we located a KC tent for Jack Stack where Micah sampled short ribs, brisket and a few other things. I tried smoked salmon (sooooo good!) and pulled chicken (not as good).
We had to huddle under an umbrella on a wet bench to eat our food. Eating a BBQ sandwhich with one hand while holding an umbrella with the other is not a good idea. I dripped sauce all over my jacket (at least I didn't lick it off).
We left soaking wet and reeking of smoke. I thought the waterfall was really pretty:
Monday night we met up with Kristy and Andy, and Gayle took us all to dinner. Here are Skylar and Granbabe watching the ceiling fan. We don't have them at home and Skylar thinks they are AMAZING.
I think this picture about sums it up. It would appear that Kristy is the one enjoying a glass of wine, but not so. She's just happy that school is almost out.......

So we had a fabulous weekend! Much thanks to Nicole and especially Gayle, for holding down the fort while we were gone!

1 comment:

  1. KC BBQ in Colorado? Amazing! I actually miss it (not that I consumed a ton of it when I lived in KC). The picture of Kristy is pretty awesome too. Glad to see that nothing has changed in the past however many years!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...