Friday, October 2, 2009

Delectable Cheese Bread

I think I'm going to start posting one of my favorite recipes each week, unless I start getting bored with it. I like baking just as much, if not more than, cooking. So for all of you bakers out there, this bread is really tasty and easy. Even if you aren't a baker, this is practically fool-proof and will turn out great. I promise.

I pulled this recipe out of the January 2003 issue of Ladies Home Journal and have lost it and re-found it a few times over the years. In fact, I just found it again. So in order to preserve it, I am posting it. (My sister lost her copy too, so here you go Jenn--feed that belly!)

Delectable Cheese Bread

Ingredients:
1/4 cup of warm water (105-115 degrees--you don't want it too hot!)
1 package of quick-rising active dry yeast
1/4 tsp sugar
1 cup of cottage cheese
2 T. honey
2 T. butter, divided
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour, divided
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup of shredded (extra sharp) Cheddar cheese (the sharper the cheese the better the flavor I think. And I use way more than a cup of it!)

1. Heat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl sprinkle yeast and sugar over water. Let dissolve in a warm place.

2. Heat cottage cheese, honey and 1 T. of butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat until lukewarm. Add salt and baking soda and stir, 30 seconds. Stir in 1/2 cup flour until combined. Mix the cottage cheese mixture into the yeast, then add the egg and beat well. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a firm ball of dough. Knead the cheese into the dough. Turn dough out onto a work surface and wipe out bowl. Lightly oil bowl then return dough to bowl, turning to coat. Place a damp, hot cloth over the bowl (I just use saran wrap and place in a slightly warm oven). Let dough rise in a warm place, 30 minutes.

3. Turn dough out onto a greased cookie sheet and shape into a 10 inch round loaf (I flatten mine a little with a rolling pin to make more of a focaccia shape, but you don't have to). Bake until the top is nicely browned and feels firm, 35-40 minutes. Melt remaining butter and brush over top of loaf. Cool on wire rack and try not to eat it all yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...