Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Sunday crunch.

Why is it so hard to get out of the house for church? Especially considering we have TWO adults and ONE puny child to get ready?

You would think after 18 months we would have the hang of it by now. We kind of do: I pick out Skylar's clothes, Micah gets her dressed, I do her hair, he checks the diaper bag, I make the sippy cup, he puts her in the car, etc. So really, she's the easy part.

Inevitably one of us (me) forgets to eat breakfast and ends up drinking diet coke and eating goldfish (or whatever snack I find in the car) on the way to church. And one of us (me) never knows what their wearing until 5 minutes before we walk out the door, as though anyone cares. It doesn't help when your husband tells you it's warm outside, but it's really only 33 degrees. Besides he can wear the exact same outfit every sunday and feel absolutely fabulous.

We prefer the early service, but this morning Skylar slept until 9 am, so late service it was. We actually made it to the sanctuary with 5 minutes to spare, but I was exhausted and ready for a nap by the time we got there.

This picture pretty much sums up the morning:
(I think she was upset because Micah said she looked like a Librarian with her button down shirt and cardigan.)
The service was great as always, and I honestly don't know how we will ever find another church like this one when we move. We have been doing a worship series for 23 weeks, and today was the culmination. Woodmen Valley incorporates so many creative expressions of worship, it's been really awesome. It was almost 1:00 when we pulled out of the parking lot so we popped Skylar's binky in and hoped she would fall asleep like she always does.

Then we drove into this:
Nice, big wet snowflakes.
Skylar decided the snow was worth staying awake for. She didn't remember it from last winter (just four short months ago) and was really excited. As soon as we got out of the car she ran around pointing to make sure we were seeing what she was seeing.
Since we are about to head south to a warm, snowless South Carolina winter, I'm happy it's snowing too. (I really do like snow--just not 8 months out of the year. I think all four seasons should have equal opportunity.)
Her excitement was infectious. She didn't care that she was getting all wet. She didn't care what we dressed her in for church. She didn't even remember how upset she was when the nursery worker accidentally knocked her head against the door while passing her over to me.
She was just happy.
It occured to me that if a toddler can worship, then that's what she was doing. Or maybe she's just teaching her parents.

5 comments:

  1. ...and she didn't remember that we took her to the doorstep of the zoo yesterday, only to turn around and strap her back into the car!

    That's a really great post, Keri. It's good to remember that we were created for child-like wonder and that this whole world was created for us to see Him. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this post! Great reminder for us all, especially the fact that our children can teach US :)

    P.S. I'm also really missing CO since it's snowing! Take more photos of the snow for us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her outfit is so cute. I am always late for church too. I guess I'm late for pretty much everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah.. child-like Faith. Stop and see what they see and enjoy the wonder of it all. It is precious. OK.. how did your Mom and Dad get all of you to church? The getting out the door is pretty much a "spiritual" battle. Is is a problem to go to the amusement park for the day? Hmmmm...When we get to heaven.. think about it.. worship all the time and in His presence forever. We will not miss the wonder of it all. And yet, He gave us this time on earth and it is a wonder. We are created to Glorify Him. When we can stop and notice it all, it is sooo special. Thank you for noticing and sharing with us. Love you so much! Where your ears burning? It was Opening Hunt weekend and I got to talk about my wondrful family and how much fun they are and people had to be polite and listen because they were in my Field that I was leading! Because of your lives and how you reflect Christ.. It was a wondrful opportunity to share Jesus as well.
    I am blessed!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her Noni got excited when it snowed last week, too. Papa thought I was silly, but I get SOOOO excited when it snows! That may wear off around here....but maybe we know where I get it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...