Thursday, October 15, 2009

I need to vent.

I detest the Ft. Carson commissary. I realize it's a military benefit and I should be grateful to have access to it's inner sanctuary. But I'm not gonna lie, I can't stand the place.

To be honest, it isn't even that much of a discount. In fact, the more I shop in regular grocery stores the more I realize that I'm actually paying more for some things in the commissary. Add to that the fact that Colorado has no sales tax for food, but the commissary tacks on a hefty surcharge, and the "benefits" really diminish.

The exception to this is the meat and dry goods. You can't beat the price of chicken at the commissary, even if it does sometimes smell funky after just a day in the fridge thereby causing me to throw it out and waste money. However, frequently when I go there isn't a single package of chicken or turkey to be found. Apparently they have stocking problems.

They also can't hold a candle to King Sooper's free kids cookies, penny horse rides and pimped out car-carts. It's like Disney Land for Skylar. But I don't expect the government to waste money on that stuff, so we'll that one slide.

One of my biggest frustrations (besides the fact that there are no carts during "busy hours" which could be anytime of the day and the fact that I am always overcharged for something) are the cashiers. They are so incredibly unprofessional. They go on and on about their personal lives, nights out, and are usually cussing like sailors while they check you out. I've had to ask them to please refrain from using those words in front of my child, resulting in dirty looks (and I swear broken eggs one time). Usually they are discussing all of this with the bagger or worse, yelling it to the next cashier over. The Chic-fil-A people need to do a commissary take over and teach them some customer service.

The breaking point was this past summer when my cashier was talking about her severe constipation with the neighboring cashier. I couldn't BELIEVE it. The other cashier was giving her lots of helpful advice (involving the nuances of enemas) which apparently she had already tried. Do I really have to listen to your poo-problems while I'm buying food?

That one warranted a complaint letter, not that it probably did much good.

All of this to say, the commissary does have brief shining moments that keep me coming back. For instance, in the past month they have had an incredible cheese sale. The 8 oz Kraft blocks, bags, sticks, slices, etc have been on sale for $1.25. And then if you buy six they give you a $5 off coupon making the grand total for 6 things of cheese, ahem....$2 or .66 a pound. I've come across this sale 4 times now, and that's a whole lotta cheese in my freezer and some in Nicole's too.

This is also the time of year when the Christmas things debut, which mostly consists of yummy imported European delicacies. I'll admit, my inner fat-kid did a happy dance when I saw the Bahlsen ginger bread cookies. I've missed them so.

I may have eaten 3 for lunch today with a side of milk. Think what you will, but they were yummy and I might do it again tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. You're not getting any sympathy from me!!! Not since I lost my commissary benefits when I turned 21! That and the fact that my dad won't let my mom get the bargains for me (he claims its against the law). If you'd like to do a post on how much Tricare sucks I'd be glad to support you on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Keri, You are making me miss the crazy commissary and the crazy deals you could get. Can you believe there is a Kroger here with free childcare? We miss you guys and hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there... :) Ft Leavenworth is not like that at all. Most of the cashiers are very friendly, professional and know me well..and by name. Now, in a way, that is sad. I never thought I'd be known by name in a military commissary. Wow.. we've been here too long? Really, they treat everyone well that I have seen. Must be the management. However, we are not a troop post. I remember when we moved from here to Germany and the kids and I were in a line in the PX. Seemed like everyone was using the F word. Culture shock!
    Get Skylar an Ipod and put Psalty on for her! How sad is that! :( Think about this... heaven will have all words that glorify God! THAT will be wonderful! Until then.. vent away! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think it's every commissary, ours is just horribly mismanaged. And Marie, I actually have a really good experience with Tri-care, so no complaints there....yet:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ours at West Point is now much bigger and nicer than it used to be but I've thought the same thing about the cashiers. (Not that I've picked up any intestinal elimination tips in line) Dairy is cheap (I'm stocking up on the cheese and using those coupons, too!) but the produce is NOT good. Isn't New Jersey right next door..?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...