Sunday, September 20, 2009

Turkey Chili Recipe

So I just mopped myself into the family room, and now I have to wait for the floor to dry. Skylar's napping and Micah is at the office thanks to a dozen frantic phone calls from staff duty. So what to do? Guess I'll post a recipe to occupy my time.

Turkey Chili:

1 pound of lean ground turkey (use whatever you like, I use the 97% fat free kind)
1 medium onion diced
2 small, or 1 large can of petite diced tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1 can low sodium chicken broth
2 cans of kidney beans, drained
1 can of corn, drained

Brown the meat and onion together in a T. or so of olive oil, throw in all the other ingredients, season to taste with salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne and chili powder and whatever else you like. Simmer for about an hour and eat! I usually serve it with jalapeno cheese cornbread.

Assuming you serve about 8 big bowls, I estimate (with the olive oil and 16 grams of fat total in the pound of turkey) this recipe is under 5 grams of fat per bowl. Not bad compared to the regular stuff.

3 comments:

  1. I will copy and paste this to Chris and Raina. Chris raved about it!
    OK.. tell Micah I pinched him about not calling back... I guessed he had work because he got off the phone really quick and did not call back with a prayer request for Skylar or you. But I still pinched him on facebook.
    HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried a single one of your recipes yet but I get soo excited when you post them! I have to start writing them down now that I cook. The only thing I hate is when recipes say season to taste...I can't do that like normal people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say it is sure YUMMY! Keri made this tonight for dinner...a cold day in Colorado, a little dusting of snow on the mountains and a bowl of chili and corn bread=the perfect day! Thanks for sharing, Keri!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...