Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies.

I remember my mom making Whoopie pies when I was child. I loved them. And somewhere along the way they disappeared from my life. I decided a couple of weeks ago to bring them back.

If you don't know what a Whoopie Pie is than you just haven't lived, it's as simple as that.

And please whatever you do, don't confuse it with a Moon Pie, they aren't even in the same class. In fact, if you like Moon Pies (especially the banana ones) you should probably stop reading my blog and never come back because you and I have absolutely nothing in common and can never be friends (unless of course we already are friends and you've been hiding your dirty little Moon Pie secret all this time, in which case I grant amnesty). I know that sounds harsh, but sometimes I just have to speak out against the injustices of the world--namely Cheese Whizz, any meat in a tube and Moon Pies.

I cover Skylar's eyes and walk extra fast to get away from Moon Pies when I see them in a store, and believe me they are all over the place down here. They even have their own special displays in prominent locations. I've probably burned a few extra calories by going the long way to avoid a Moon Pie display. Calories that could be better spent on a Whoopie Pie. A Moon Pie is not a dessert.

But this is dessert......

When I started searching for a recipe, I couldn't find a single one that didn't use Crisco in both the cake and filling--an ingredient that I refuse to use. In the end, I went with this version from Martha Stewart that still called for Crisco in the cake, and just tweaked it. I know I shouldn't mess with Martha, and I'm sure her original version is even more delicious. So for the original go here. My slightly healthier version is below:

For the Cookies:

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, not Dutch-process
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1 large egg
1 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

For the Filling:
1 1/4 cup natural, creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar

To make cookies: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a small bowl; set aside.
Put butter and sugars into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on high speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add egg; mix until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in half the flour mixture, then the milk and vanilla. Mix in remaining flour mixture.

Drop rounded tablespoons of dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies spring back when lightly touched, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks using a spatula; let cool completely.

To make filling: Put peanut butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on high speed until smooth. Reduce mixer speed to low. Add confectioners' sugar; mix until combined. Raise speed to high, and mix until fluffy and smooth, about 3 minutes.

Assemble cookies: Spread 1 scant tablespoon filling on the bottom of 1 cookie. Sandwich with another cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies and filling. Cookies can be refrigerated in single layers in airtight containers up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.

One bite and you'll know why their called Whoopie Pies.

5 comments:

  1. Ahhh sounds so good. I love almost anything with chocolate and peanut butter combined! (unless it includes coconut) And this is yet another reminder of why I'm so bummed you aren't still here with us. There is so much I could/and should have learned from you in the kitchen!!! Have a great couple of weeks left in SC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man! I'm a sucker for chocolate and peanut butter-I'm so making these =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried a whoopie pie...but i LOVE banana moon pies!!! Of course, I'm from Chattanooga, home of the Moon Pie, so I have an excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and as a matter of fact, I visited a Moon Pie store last time I was there. Fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...