Monday, January 3, 2011

Looking Ahead.

So 2011, you are here.

Skylar's still holding on to the holiday season and yelling "Merry Christmas!" to people. And still begging to make Christmas cookies and eat candy canes. It's hard to come down off those candy canes......
I have mixed emotions going into the New Year. I was feeling really sentimental putting Skylar to bed on New Year's eve. Another year of her life gone. A year we can't get back. It's all going by so fast. Her daddy is missing so much. And we only have 3 more months until her little brother will rock her world.

It's not that I'm not excited about having another baby, but it's really hard to imagine another person in our lives. I love being able to spend all my time with Skylar. She wears me out, but I wouldn't have it any other way. We're "battle buddies". So it makes me sad that I won't have as much time and attention to give her with a newborn.

Then there's that wee (okay big) part of me that's a little (or a lot) terrified of having a newborn again. I love that babies are tiny and snugly and don't argue with you. But I think back to those first two months with Skylar and I am overcome with fear. Surely the Lord knows what I can handle. I am praying for a nice fat baby that sleeps well and eats well. Not another scrawny little thing that is colicky, doesn't gain much weight, can't nurse, and doesn't sleep through the night for years. (She woke me up screaming "Mommy" from her room 4 times last night....I'm a little bitter).

There will be no husband in the delivery room. He won't be here to offer a moment's relief or a shower break. There will be no down time. No one to take a shift. I get overwhelmed just thinking about how exhausting it's going to be. I don't want to let the anxiety take away from the miracle of another child, but it's definitely there.

This is also the year that my father begins (and hopefully ends) his battle with prostate cancer. He was diagnosed a couple of weeks before Christmas. As of right now he is going to have surgery to remove his prostate, but first they are going to run a battery of test to ensure it hasn't spread. If it has spread then the surgery won't happen and he'll undergo chemo and radiation instead. Obviously, the first scenario is the best one, but either way his recovery isn't going to be easy.

This is also the year Micah comes home, but figuratively speaking we are only on mile 6 of the marathon. I am already tired and there is so far still to go. I can't even think about the finish line yet.

And yet Micah and I regularly talk about the fact that we are exactly where God wants us and none of it is an accident. This is the life we've been called to (at least for now). He will equip us with what we need when we need it. And I am learning to rely on that which I can't yet see or understand.

Along those lines, I want to share an excerpt from a book I read last fall called What Happens When Women Walk in Faith by Lisa TerKeurst and pretty much sums it all up:

"A life that requires very little faith is not a life that God will use. When we are willing to embark on a life that requires faith, we are more aware of God and His ability to provide for us in every detail of our lives. We won't wait until everything in our lives is in order......We will never have everything in order.......Faith is learned through life. Through the messy and unpredictable everyday events that often stumble us, we become aware of our desperate need for God".

So with lots of prayer, a sense of humor and the biggest Toblerone I've ever seen......

......I am taking on this new year.

6 comments:

  1. Keri, you're an inspiration to all of us! Remember that there are a lot of folks out there who love you and will do anything possible to help. (I love the picture of Skylar, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, heartfelt post, Keri.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keri, this new year sounds like it will start out a challenge for you, but I love how you are taking it straight on. You are such a strong person and I know that through all the prayers, things will work out.

    Your heart will grow a new love and you will be intoxicated by the birth of your new son. And, Skylar will impress you in so many more ways, as she shows a new side, as a big sister.

    As for your dad, I am so sorry to hear about his cancer. Cancer is so ugly and I pray for you and your family. I pray that option 1 (the surgery) is the outcome.

    Lots of hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man you are really going through some tough stuff right now (understatement of the year). I am so sorry to hear about your dad. He is like the pillar of strength for the Austin's, so I am sure it is very difficult to see him going through this.

    Thanks for the honesty. I always appreciate that. I don't blame you for being freaked out! Not only is the unknown always freaky, but you've got your husband in a far off (dangerous) country and you're getting ready to tackle this on your own.

    I really appreciated the quote you gave and I know that God is going to walk you through this in amazing ways. You will look back at the end of the day and wonder how the hell you managed to get through it and realize He did.

    I'll be praying for an easy newborn for you, for both of us, but especially for you. I understand your fear...Skylar was no picnic!! I do think you will find that baby #2 is easier just because you've been there once before. I hope that helps a little. Here is my next piece of advice: LET PEOPLE HELP YOU, even if it seems like such an inconvenience to them. It's not.

    I wish I was there. We could sit in our sweats, hold our babies and watch bravo while our other kids ransack the place. Hmm. Come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keri~I prayed for your Dad last night as I read your very honest and heartfelt post. I'm sorry that you, as your family are going through this , especially with your best friend thousands of miles away. Could I place your Dad on my Mom's church's prayer list?

    As for the rest of your post: I know all too well how you feel. I felt the same way about everything. I will be praying that when you do go into labor that the lines of communication with be clear between you and Micah, and that he will call or Skype at just the right time. Cherish every moment, as I'm sure you are, with Skylar. Those times are so precious- I long for the times with just Ethan and I so I could give him ALL of my time. But rest assured you WILL be just as in love with your son as you are with Skylar-it's amazing how you can indeed love two children differently but the same. It's precious. I know Skylar will be a great helper to you with baby brother =)
    I also echo Marie's comments about letting people help you. This time around I did let Mom and Dad help and I realized that I was much happier and so were both my kiddos. No doubt there will be stressful times ahead, but we all love you and are praying for you every step of the way. I promise you, you can do this. I'm always here for you, sweet friend, to vent, cry, and rejoice with! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you Keri!!! You are not alone sweet sister!! Thanks for sharng!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...