Friday, May 13, 2011

Thanks Orkin Man!

Spring has been the season of home maintenance around here.

I guess it was inevitable. The honeymoon phase of home ownership had to end.
There have been on going plumbing problems from that lovely pink tiled master bathroom resulting in two holes like this in the kitchen, one in the wall and one in the ceiling.......

Fortunately on the night the water came through the ceiling, Gayle and Jenn were both here. That was a huge blessing, because in addition to having a newborn and fearing that the ceiling would collapse, I simultaneously realized Sabot was missing (he was loose in the neighborhood somewhere having the time of his life) and then as if on cue Skylar dropped a pot of hot chocolate on the white carpet in the playroom where she was having a tea party with Aunt Jenn.

Anyway, obviously I am in need of a drywaller.
And I still have unresolved plumbing issues in the other bathroom. My trustworthy plumber Carl broke up with me. He won't return my calls. The antique hardware on the shower got the best of him.

Then there was the process of securing lawn care for the summer.

The fence needs to be stained.

And then the pests moved in. Carpenter Ants to be exact. Apparently they destroy wood faster than termites.

I've gotten multiple estimates for each of these things, which means we've had a constant flow of colorful people in and around the house. Some professional, and some not so much.

There were a pair of drywallers who came by. Frick and Frack lost all credibility when they offered to "take me out for drinks and show me a good time" while I had a newborn in my arms and a three year old running around my legs. They were so interested in the house that I started to feel like they were scoping the place out. I didn't sleep well that night.

Then there was Mickey. He showed up at the door dressed in white jeans, white high tops, and a white t-shirt. In the end, he just might be my drywall angel sent from heaven, in spite of the fact that he has no social skills and looks at Skylar with great fear and trepidation. (In his defense, she does come on a little strong....) Decent guy, great price, lets hope he shows up to do the job on monday.

Then there was Dan--not a tooth in his poor head. Not one.

I think my favorite of all was Charlie the Orkin Man. Charlie is a jovial little guy and passionate about killing bugs. When I answered the door he greeted me with "I'm Charlie the Orkin Man, what's buggin' you today?" Then he reached down and picked up a roving carpenter ant and said "Hi little guy, you've met your match" squished it between his fingers and stuck it in his pocket.

Charlie loved Jack and he became besties with Skylar. He went from floor to floor whistling and telling little bug jokes and reporting back to me with his findings. He was full of insect trivia and freely shared it. Charlie is doing great things for God and Country.

But in the end, it's all good. I am thankful for a husband who works hard to provide this house for us. And he sent me these beautiful tulips....

Plus I have this hot little mess to keep me busy and call me "mama" 1437 times a day.......give or take a few.

And the easiest baby EVER with fat little cheeks to kiss (they get all glittery from my lipgloss, poor guy).

And we have had the best weather this week. Mid 70's, sunny and absolutely beautiful. The kind of weather that makes me forget all about the winter.

2 comments:

  1. Bless your heart! Are any of these projects getting resolved. I'm disappointed in the plumber. I had high hopes for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have had a very exciting couple of weeks, hopefully things will start looking up soon.

    You and Micah have such beautiful children. They have both grown so much already and are so blessed to have such wonderful parents!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...