Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Umbilical whaaaat?

On Sunday Finley finally lost his umbilical cord. The books tell you it takes 7-10 days. Skylar's hung on for 24, and Finley broke the record with a whopping 30 days. (Does this mean he's going to be living in our basement when he's 40?)

Anyway, much to my horror, there was a belly button abnormality lurking under the remains of that nasty cord. It looked like intestines were coming out and....oozing. I decided that was impossible, because wouldn't a baby be screaming if his intestines were coming out of his belly button? So I waited and watched it, and every time I changed his diaper it was equally horrifying. Had it been Skylar, we would have whisked her away to the ER in a nanosecond, but now I was an experienced mother of two who didn't panic at such trivialities......ha.

But I realized that it had to be something less serious than it appeared to be, so Monday morning I made him an appointment and we went in to get the nastiness checked out. As it turned out, he had an Umbilical Granuloma. Gross to look at, but no big deal.

In the meantime, he was finally able to get his first real bath. And once again, the complete personality differences between he and Skylar were loud and clear.

Exhibit A: Not a peep was made from the time he hit the water to the time he got dressed. He was a picture of perfect contentment.
Exhibit B: Skylar screamed from the time we took her clothes off and for several hours after.....

In fact, Finley even fell asleep in the water, he was so relaxed.

Thank the Lord, she came first.

5 comments:

  1. Finley is such a beautiful boy. He looks like he is doing really well! I must say the second kid around you tend to be so much more relaxed. I remember Owen's umbilical cord was gross when it came off. I just kept putting rubbing alcohol on it, finally the oozing went away and it dried up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is so precious. I am glad you got a more calm baby this time around. Love all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was incredible gross to read, thanks Keri. Now back to studying Abnormal Psych!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Oh dear..a drama queen...how fun! tho (I did not have to go thru it- easy for me to say;) )He is precious and he is getting so big. Wish I could have been there for this first. Glad the belly button thing was OK. Crazy..I learned something. Thank you for sharing, it makes me so happy to get to peek into your day. You are so thoughtful to do this. BTW..love your new choice of songs.
    HUGS
    Happy Mother's Day early!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...