Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My 3 Step Plan

During my 5 years working in early childhood (not including all those summers at spring canyon...does that really count???) I came into contact with many an upset parent or disgruntled staffer. This has taught me what kind of parent I DON'T want to be....and also what kind of people could possibly be watching my child....scary.

Needless to say, when I first took Skylar to the church nursery at 10 weeks old I was a little worried based on what I'd seen over the years. Don't get me wrong, there are many professional daycare workers, but something about a volunteer setting worries me because of the lack of training and professionalism. Then again, at least volunteers are there because they want to be and aren't just collecting a paycheck.

So I devised a 3 step plan for ensuring that Skylar is well taken care of in the nursery based upon my extensive research and experience (and by research I mean my personal opinion). I will share these little gems with you....not that they are rocket science by any means...and you too can ensure that you're child receives optimum levels of attention in a group setting:)

1. SHE MUST LOOK EXTRA CUTE. Obviously I know that she is the most adorable child to ever live--and clearly gifted--but I can't assume a stranger will recognize or appreciate this. It may sound superficial, judge me if you want, but nobody likes a crusty, dirty child in stained clothes that smells like a port-a-potty and/or sour milk.
Think about it, if you are in a room filled with other people's children which one appeals to you more? The cute one in the adorable outfit with the little bow in her hair that smells like lavender, or the one with green slime coming out of her pasty little nose and dripping onto her big brother's enormous shirt that she is wearing because their mother just grabbed the first thing she saw? No-brainer.
I know a true professional would show no preference, but we all have our biases, and really why risk it?

I find it also helps if she has memorable accessories. Like her fluffy pink bunny coat, her sparkly silver Mary Janes, a designer bib or a custom burp clothe. For some reason they seem to set her apart from the competition and ensure her a permanent spot in someone's lap, which of course is what she likes best.

2. THE DIAPER BAG MUST BE WELL STOCKED. You just don't want to be THAT parent. If you forget a snack, then your kid is the one crying while it watches the others eat. If you forget a change of clothes when they have that big blow-out then you are definitely not scoring any points with the caregivers. Either they are scrambling around looking for hand-me-downs in the closet thereby leaving the other kids unattended, or worse, they make you come get them and do the walk of shame back to the car with your poopy child in their poopy clothes.....make that a poopy car seat too.
Heaven forbid you forget a diaper or bottle. They know it isn't your child's fault, but they will still subconsciously project their opinion of you onto your child. It's just so preventable. I don't care if it makes me 5 minutes late, I have to double-check the diaper bag.

*Bonus points for carefully labeling everything in it.
**Extra bonus points for customized designer labels (refer to "memorable accessories" above).

3. FEED THE NURSERY WORKERS. I cannot stress this enough. You can do the above things faithfully, but if you really want your child to be the Golden Child, you must go above and beyond. You will quickly win the hearts of everyone with your tasty homemade delicacies.

I'm not just talking christmas cookies and valentines here....just random goodness for no apparent reason except to show gratitude. This will ensure that when they project their opinion of you onto your child it will be only good. Whatever you do, don't give them any peanut products. Though well intentioned, this will show your ignorance about food allergies. This morning I gave them chocolate chip muffins with crumble topping. Granted, they were leftovers, but whatever....it's the thought that counts.

*Bonus points for giving them thank-you gifts when your child moves or graduates to the next age group.

So there you have it. I plan on publishing this in pamphlet form and passing it out in Starbucks. Except if everyone started applying these principles Skylar would no longer stand out in the crowd. And we can't have that.

***By the way, if you think these principles don't apply to you because you don't have kids, you are wrong. The same criteria apply to dropping your dog off at the kennel, doggy daycare, Camp Bow Wow, or what have you. Jack's pink polo shirt and sparkling personality ensure that he will always be the most popular pooch wherever he goes. Not that he's ever been to a kennel. He's not that kind of dog.

5 comments:

  1. I love this! And you're right, it is so true! When I worked in childcare, I was kind and loving to every child...but I couldn't help having favorites. Okay, and avoiding the kid who drooled all over himself all the time and always came in with a dirty diaper. Sorry!
    K, I want you to post your list of 25 top baby products!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keri,

    Yes, I am reading your blog first of all...mom told me to check it which reminded me. Funny that you would post this after I spent the whole morning watching the Toddlers at PWOC this morning. Two of the children (both with stinky diapers) did not have diapers provided and we were forced to steal them from another child's unsuspecting bag. Then we had a mystery cup with no name on it and had to use the process of elimination to figure out who it belonged to. I did however, wipe the noses and hold the children with snotty noses, but only because they were twins and therefore a novelty in the classroom, plus balancing them both served as a good workout.

    By the way have I told you your background reminds me of Skyler's baby room? I know you make all the posts, but how does Micah feel about HIS family's blog being surrounded with pink? Oh nevermind, I forgot, he allows his BOY dog to be dressed in pink polos...right. But, I really like the music you have playing, I might just start opening your blog to serve as my background music when working on the computer. thanks for the humor! Kiss my adorable little niece for me...by the way, she was cuter then any kid I had in the Toddler class today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doug must have posted the comment above. I mean, we all know AMY doesn't work! What kind of Lady of Leisure would she be?!

    By the way, your list actually makes a lot of sense. (Not that Skylar could possibly be any cuter than she already is.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was priceless. I am copying it to my facebook page. It's just too good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so very glad her Pink Fluffy Coat is helping her get better care in the nursery! I just want to do my part as a good Aunt!
    Bekah

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...