Thursday, February 12, 2009

Uh-oh.....

Something bad happened today......not quite earth-shattering bad....but it could have been.

I dropped and broke my best friend today. Or should I say breast friend. Pun intended.

That's right, my trusty medela swing pump crashed to the floor for the 200th time, except this time the plastic on the side of it broke, exposing it's wire-y inards. I thought for sure it wasn't going to turn on again. I was seized with panic, thinking I would either have to buy another one to get through the next 7 weeks and 4 days or endure horrible engorgement.

I held my breathe, hit the button, and was ecstatic to hear the steady "whir, whir, whir" that has become my theme song. So familiar in fact, that the sound of it magically lures Skylar to sleep, because "mommy" and "motorized whirring" have become synonymous in her short life.

It's endured quite a beating, especially considering it's intended for use 2-3 times a day, and it was used 8 times a day for the first 6 months of Skylar's life. Which is why it's my best friend. Next to Skylar, I've spent more quality time with it than any person, let alone appliance. In fact, when I did the math it came out to 1106 hours--46 Days-- I've spent with my pump thus far....and that's a very conservative estimate, it's actually way more than that.

I am happy to report I am down to 3 times a day now....oh the freedom. I know I told you I'd send it your way Marie, but I'm not sure it's going to make it.......or that you'll want it after I duct tape it back together:)

Here is a very low-quality picture of the damage done to Leonidas. Yep, that's right, my breast pump has a name...you know, as a sign of respect for all the hard work it's done. Nicole and I decided it was the perfect name, especially since my brother Josh wants to buy a snake and name it Leonidas and now he can't because I stole the name and gave it to my breast pump and that will totally gross him out.

4 comments:

  1. this is the most hysterical thing i've ever read. i, too, have been touched by your breast pump (not physically). i feel that it brought us even closer as friends...driving you to the hospital, listening to the whir, accidentally glancing your way and being traumatized. good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you broke your breast friend. I'm glad she still works. I might buy one of those things anyway. They aren't too terribly expensive and I bet it will outweigh the cost of formula we'd buy for when I work at baby gap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if you don't get one in the next 7 weeks and mine is still ticking, let me know and I'll still send it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - when you get to let go of your breast friend forever, I'll send you a card! One of my good friends in PT school thought about hosting a party after having to pump so often for almost a year. I'll make a special "dump the pump" card for you! (and I may actually live close enough to hand deliver it - ha!)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...