Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Jinx

A couple of weeks ago I moved Skylar from her pack n' play at the foot of our bed to her very own room down the hall. The room farthest away from ours. Where we can't hear her. Ever.

Okay, except for the fact that the baby monitor is turned up to full blast.

Anyway, the initial adjustment was difficult. We had a few rough nights where I was trekking down the hall multiple times--my reason for avoiding the big move in the first place. Then one night she only woke up once, and within a couple of nights she wasn't making a peep.

Lo and behold we had 4 blissful nights of full, uninterrupted sleep. Twice I was even able to get up, pump, do a quiet time, take a shower, put on my make-up AND...dry my hair! All before she woke up. It was heaven. I could see the light at the end of the tunnel....the other side of infancy....life might be normal again!

I didn't want to share my big news for fear of jinxing it. Then a few days ago I was talking to Gayle and I had to brag about how Skylar was sleeping through the night. I think I may have told Kristy too.

And guess what? It all went to crap.

The problem is, now I know what I'm missing. It's as though someone took me to the Promise Land, and then took all the milk and honey away. And the chocolate too. And made me eat cottage cheese instead. I HATE cottage cheese. The texture is so gross.

I shouldn't be complaining. In the whole scope of things it's trivial, really. It's just that she isn't a newborn anymore, she's almost a year old. I feel like I've done my time. That and...I just like sleep. Sleep is my long lost friend.

I look forward to our next reunion.

3 comments:

  1. Sleep....isn't it overrated when you have children? That's what I've been told by all the parents of the kiddos I worked with during my internships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just blame it on teething. That's what I do (and truthfully it screws up everything). I was even tempted to do that for Ainsley until I remembered that she's only three weeks old. Addison still wakes up every single night. I don't think I'm going to sleep well again. That's why we have Starbucks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain! I haven't slept through the night in over five years...seriously! Well, except for last month when I had my gallbladder removed and my mom got up with the babies. I would almost have surgery again to get three nights of rest.

    But they grow up so fast. Or at least that is what everyone is always telling me! :) For now, coffee is my morning buddy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...