Thursday, March 26, 2009

News you can't use

I'm sitting here awaiting the blizzard of '09 (supposedly we'll be getting 8-15 inches in the next 24 hours). Skylar is asleep right now after two very sleepless nights and one trip to the doctor. No sleep for her means no sleep for me. Micah just called and ordered me to "rest" and since I think blogging is more fun than sleeping, here I sit.
On the upside, I may help your self-esteem by blogging today since no doubt after you read what I'm about to write you are bound to feel better about your productive and intelligent life. Anyway, I have some very important topics to discuss today.

First of all, I just want to say how happy I am to see these little guys back in stores:

I am a self-proclaimed Peepaholic, and apparently am also easily suckered in by the geniuses in Peeps marketing. As any dedicated peep-lover has observed, there is a whole new slew of colors this year and I have to try every one....just in case orange sugar tastes different then yellow sugar. It doesn't.

But I have a bone to pick with these same marketing geniuses. I noticed they now sell sugar-free peeps. How can something made entirely of sugar become sugar-free??? If you're going to eat a peep, just eat a peep, not a faux peep. What is the world coming to?
While I'm on the topic of crazy, the other day while parusing fashion mags at the Y (that rack of magazines is a huge motivator to get me on the elliptical, thank you YMCA) it came to my attention that the spring/summer trends are inspired by the depressing economic times that we are currently in. Everything right now is "depression era" clothing, aka, really ugly. So instead of paying $500 for a cute designer top, you can now pay the same amount for a really ugly, depression-era, raggedy, poor-person top. All I could think about was Zoolander and the "derelict" line. (If you haven't seen the movie, don't bother, you aren't missing anything.)

I'm no fashionista, especially not since having Skylar, and if I'm not leaving the house I'm pretty much only in yoga pants. I prefer the term "yoga" because it implies I may have just worked out as opposed to wearing "sweatpants" that say "I've given up on life" or worse, "I still look pregnant a year after having a baby". (I'm a little bitter--a sweet and well-intentioned lady at church rubbed my stomache and asked me if I was pregnant a couple of weeks ago.)

However I do feel obligated to pass on a little fashion nugget for you to digest. It has come to my attention that capris may be on there way out. Furthermore---and it pains me to write this--it would appear that capris are the new "mom jean". I know, I know....the truth hurts. I didn't believe it at first either. But I've had a couple of weeks to digest this little tidbit, and after considering it, I decided it might be true.

Think about it---capris with athletic shoes/sneakers---total "mom jean" look. Adding socks to that combo is the kiss of death. I was indignant at first, since I like wearing heels or flip flops with capris in the summer. I went on to read that if you're going to wear heels you should just wear them with trousers as it creates a "long, lean line" and that flip flops are more flattering with long-shorts (there were pictures to prove this point). Hmmmm. Something to think about.

I'm not suggesting everyone throw out their capris. They are still a women's best friend since they conceal a multitude of sins. I have decided that in order to avoid the slippery-slope that is "mom inspired fashion" (I'm not immune--I bought a skirted, polka dot swim dress with a ruffle on the bottom--it's true) I am going to forgo capris and maybe even shorts entirely.

Enter the sundress. I intend to be comfortable AND cute while putting forth very little effort, and I feel I can best accomplish this with an outfit that requires little to no thought. It's all one-peice, there is no matching required, and if it's well-cut it will still hide a multitude of sins. I declare this summer the year of the sundress.

(And just in case you don't know what the reference is to "mom jeans" HERE is the best SNL skit EVER.)

I think our blizzard has started!!!

2 comments:

  1. You are hilarious, Keri! I am a bit disappointed with the tip about capris. What am I supposed to wear to work this summer while chasing around children of various ages? Pants?! But, I agree about the sundress part (with the exception of wearing it to work...can't do that when working with children either). Can we have a sundress party this summer after I steal your sister to come live with me? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm finally getting caught back up on your blog, and as usual, you have entertained me sufficiently! I love it!!
    Also, I recently made this same observation about capris! Last summer was my first summer of the sundress, and it will continue this year, as I, too have demoted all my capris to 'tucked into ugg' pants for the winter. yes, i am that girl. there is one fantastic pair that i haven't been able to part with yet, but in my defense, i haven't worn them this year, either. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...