Monday, March 30, 2009

Snow Day

The weather man did not disappoint! We got lots of snow on thursday, although in our area of town it was definately NOT a blizzard. Still, it was enough to close Ft. Carson on friday so that Micah didn't have to go to work, and that hasn't happend in a couple of years.

Meanwhile, Nicole was stuck at the hospital for 36 hours straight. Initially she was in lock-down and was going to have to work a 12 hour night shift following her 12 hour day shift......But enough night nurses were able to make it in that she was able to sleep at the hospital and work the next day instead.
It was probably the longest snow day of our lives, trapped in the house with a sick, crabby baby. Most businesses were closed so there wasn't any place to go anyway, and with Skylar's bad cold I didn't want to take her out in the weather (although she did end up going out in her snowsuit for about 15 minutes).

I decided to pull out the sofa bed and let Skylar hang out and play and maybe even sleep. It would have been so fun to lay around and watch movies all day...but it only lasted a few minutes:

Nothing was very fun for very long. I have figured out that when Skylar is unhappy sometimes all she wants is to be naked. She also loves her pink hat. It worked like a charm:

But again, not for long.......
So we entertained ourselves at Sabot's expense. Even when she doesn't feel well, her dogs always make her happy.
Nicole had a different method of entertainment--letting Skylar play in her blueberry applesauce. Hey, whatever works!

None of us felt like cooking on saturday night. Micah ate leftovers, and Nicole was "craving" cabbage. Apparently reading Angela's Ashes, a very sad memoir about a poverty stricken Irish family, made her hungry for cabbage. In the end we stir-fried it with sesame oil, soy sauce and sprinkled some sesame seeds on it, and it wasn't bad.

But when I saw that she was eating her cabbage with a glass of water and a celery stick on the side, I had to accuse her of being on a super-model diet. I mean, I know we're eating healthier around here, but for pity's sake! I miss my old tub-of-cool-whip-eating sister! Oh wait, we still eat cool-whip by the tub, never mind.

Speaking of cool-whip by the tub, it's practically a food-group around here. So last night when Nicole made some biscuits and sliced up strawberries for strawberry shortcake, it was a minor emergency when we realized there was no cool-whip in the fridge. At first we decided we would just make it work, we would just go without.....but it wouldn't have been the same. In the end we couldn't do it, so I jumped in the car and headed to Albertson's around 9:00 last night.

And I am soooo glad I did.

As I was pulling out of the parking lot to go home I noticed a little girl playing by the street near an apartment complex. This happens to be a pretty busy street that people drive way too fast on. She moved back from the street and I assumed that her parents must have called her, and I saw other cars slow down and look and then keep going. But as I was driving home I decided it didn't feel right, and I turned around and went back.

When I got back to the apartments, there she was again, right on the edge of the curb about to walk into traffic and no adults in sight. I ran over to her and asked her where her mom and dad were. She was only about 3, so she just pointed at the building. Then I noticed that she was barefoot, no coat and short sleeves, and it was 30 degrees outside and windy, not to mention late at night. She was freezing. I took her to my car, but I didn't want to put her IN my car in case somebody thought I was kidnapping her. Unfortunately, I didn't have my cell phone either. So I told her to show me where she lived and we walked up to the 3rd floor and I knocked on the door she pointed to. I could hear people inside but nobody answered.

At this point, I was pretty upset, and would have definately called the police if I'd had my cell phone. Instead I decided to walk to the nearby gas station with her and call from there. On the way a lady walked across the parking lot, who happened to be a neighbor, and I asked her if she knew where the little girl lived. She pointed to the same apartment and went up and banged on the door. This time a man answered and guess what??? He hadn't even known his daughter was missing.

He seemed genuinely happy to see her, and said he'd been back and forth doing laundry and hadn't noticed she was gone. I thought back to all the times Nicole had escaped from the house, so in the end I'm glad I didn't call the police. Honestly, if he hadn't seemed to care or if the little girl had acted wierd with him at all, I would have called anyway. I've done it several times before.

So that's our weekend in a nutshell: surviving an almost-blizzard, entertaining a sick baby, cabbage and cool-whip eating, rescuing random children, and all. And that folks, is domestic bliss.

1 comment:

  1. 1.Oh my gosh I am a cool whip freak too, except the light kind makes my stomach hurt real bad when I eat too much.
    2. cabbage? eww. The only time I have ever bought cabbage was to stuff in my bra when I was engorged w/ Addison.
    3. I can't believe you found a little girl on the side of the road. Addison escaped outside once and my neighbor named Ricky brought her home, so it was probably good that you didn't call the police.
    4. Mighty to Save is one of my favorite songs! I'm so glad you have it on your playlist.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...