Tuesday, March 24, 2009

To middle school we go....

Last week Nicole, Skylar and I went up to Mesa Middle School in Castle Rock to visit Mrs. Lathrop (rumored to be the funnest science teacher in the district). I wanted to show Skylar where she was going to be attending school next year (Yep, she's THAT gifted).
Okay, in all seriousness she won't be going there for another 1o years. That's when the "exchange program" goes into effect. I'm not a big fan of kids after the age of 11, and Kristy prefers them older, so Skylar will be going to live with Aunt Kristy and Uncle Andy from 6th grade until college. It's already been worked out. (Likewise, I have generously offered to keep her babies until they are of "manageable age"--around 4 or 5--she has yet to take me up on it).
Fortunately, Skylar loved middle school and has been using words like "velocity", "gravity" and "force" in full sentences ever since. Kristy has a really cool white board. You can just write with your finger on the wall in different colors. It's very tech-savvy. So much so, that I'm getting a headache just thinking about it. Nicole and Skylar drew a picture for the class.
Skylar got an A+ for her drawing. (Notice she has her eyes closed just like her mommy does in almost every picture!)
Here is Kristy assisting a student and answering questions while simultaneously holding a baby. She looks like a natural. I think homeschooling might be in Kristy's future.
Nicole was deep in concentration, soaking in all of the science-y stuff like a sponge. Skylar was a little bored. She knew it all already.
Personally, I found the boy with the full "molestache" the most intriguing thing. I couldn't stop staring. How does such a young boy have so much facial hair? Is he ostracized by his friends? Do they thinks it's cool? Why does HE think it's cool? Mustaches are almost NEVER cool (unless your Charlton Heston), especially not when you're twelve. I wanted to help him--take him aside and give him some council. Let him know that he won't get a girlfriend looking like that. But alas, I just sat three feet away and stared at it as I contemplated his fate.
I'll admit I was secretly hoping to witness some teen angst. Maybe a dramatic break-up or broken braces.......something. Unfortunately, Kristy's students were all really well behaved and the hormones in the room seemed to be under control. All in all, it was a great visit. It reminded me of how glad I am to not be in school anymore. I think Kristy (and all the other teachers out there) are heroes among us. And maybe slightly masochistic too.

1 comment:

  1. I was distracted the whole time I was reading your post by the picture of Kristy wearing...a skirt?!

    (Kristy, if you're reading this it looks very nice)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...