Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Breakfast Cookie

This post is dedicated to Amanda Washburn, without whom I never would have met the breakfast cookie. She posted this recipe on her blog awhile back.

It has changed my life. Seriously. Breakfast cookies are quickly becoming a hobby. If it weren't for the breakfast cookie, I would probably be doing something destructive with my culinary energy---like dipping stale peeps in chocolate. It was a Peepful Easter. I got Peeps from all my peeps.

Back to the cookie.

Just the fact that it's a cookie you can eat for breakfast was enough to hook me. Then I made them (I'll admit I had low expectations since they're "healthy") and they were really good--and reasonably healthy. Except that I have never actually eaten one for breakfast. They are pretty much dessert in our house. Not to mention, they are usually gone by breakfast, so that isn't an option anyway.

Self-control isn't our strong suit.

After making a batch with chocolate chips, and then one with raisins, I knew I couldn't stop there. I felt like they had endless potential. The sky is the limit. So I made some with dark chocolate chunks and dried cherries, which is our new favorite. Then I substituted melted peanut butter for the majority of the butter and made peanut butter chocolate chip, also good and maybe even healthier.

I think you could also make "trail mix bars" with pretzel sticks, m&m's, peanuts, and raisins, bake it in a 9x13 pan, and cut it into bars--although I have yet to actually try it. And how about peanut butter banana cookies? I haven't figured the logistics of that one out yet.

Oh, but I'm not done. I was also thinking "Fruit of the Forest" cookies with lots of different dried fruits. (I just like saying "Fruit of the Forest"). Nicole said I should also add chocolate chips, since technically cocoa beans are grown on trees, and therefore qualify as a "fruit" from the forest. We debated that one for awhile, and in the end I have to agree, chocolate is definitely a fruit. Probably my favorite fruit.

Okay, so now that I've shared my obsession with breakfast cookies, here is Amanda's original recipe:

1 cup butter, melted
¾ cup honey
2 eggs
1 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
1 t. vanilla
½ cup buttermilk
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups whole rolled oats
1 cup raisins or chocolate chips

Mix butter, honey, eggs, salt, cinnamon, soda, vanilla and buttermilk. Stir in flour and oats. Fold in raisins or chocolate chips. Scoop heaping tablespoons of dough onto a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Allow cookies to cool 3-4 minutes on cookie sheet before removing cookies to cool on a wire rack.

I highly recommend you try them. And if you think of a new kind, let me know!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad to know the breakfast cookie could bring you such happiness! It's a favorite here too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm going to make these tomorrow, substituting half of the butter with peanut butter and using carob chips instead of chocolate (although chocolate would be tasty!).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...