Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Enough already.

Skylar went back to the doctor on monday after having a temperature all weekend. The good news is her ears turned out to be fine. We didn't see her usual pediatrician though, and the one we saw was a condescending jerk. In addition to talking to me like I was a teen mother, he felt the need to remind me about "choking hazards" when I let her play with a rubber glove that I had turned into a balloon.

Really? A choking hazard? What's that? Is that when I grab your neck and choke you for acting like I'm retarded for trying to entertain my cranky child who is SITTING IN MY LAP while playing with her fake balloon that isn't even blown up enough to actually pop?

Whatever, he was probably just doing his job. And I probably just need 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep. And a mojito.
So he diagnosed her with a virus, because that's what doctor's do when they don't know. I've decided "virus" is what they say when they have no clue what's wrong with your child, even though she is always sick, randomly vomits, and has a temperature 5 out of 7 days a week. By my calculations Skylar has had approximately 15 "viruses" in her life, and that doesn't really seem possible for a breastfed baby who isn't in daycare.

I'm also bothered that she's lost close to a pound since turning one. In fact, she's only gained 2 pounds total since last Thanksgiving when she was in the ER for an ear infection. She weighs a whole lot less than she appears to. As my mom said, she's "fluffy". Plus, I think that 95th percentile head perched atop that little body gives the illusion of size. Anyway, I just think it's odd that she has a pattern of gaining some weight, and then losing it all again.

In other news, yesterday Nicole, Skylar and I decided to go for a walk since it was such a nice day. After chatting with Doris down the street (all of my neighbors have names like Doris, Eileen, etc because we live in a retirement community) we decided to head to Albertsons so Nicole could pick up a few game pieces, I mean, groceries. (Side note: the cashier informed me that lucky people have won $500,000 mortgages at my neighborhood Albertsons!! What????)
This is what Nicole wore yesterday without hesitation or shame. In fact, she found nothing strange about it at all, except maybe the fact that I found it strange.
(Yes Bekah, those are argyle knee socks with capris. It's beyond my control. Had I known she would abuse the socks that way I never would have put them in her easter basket.)
This morning Skylar--who woke up 2 hours earlier than usual--was a little basket case. So when I forgot to lock the kennel door and she crawled in there, I'll admit, I just didn't care. I let her play in the dog hair and slobbery water bowl until she crawled back out. I know it's gross, but it was 10 minutes of peace. Honestly, I was tempted to close the door and leave her in there while I took a shower.

2 comments:

  1. Ok that picture of Nicole in the argyle socks was hilarious. I'm sorry you're not getting any good advice about Skylar's "viruses." I wish I was a pediatrician, so I could help. I will pray that you guys can get this stuff figured out. Go make yourself a mojito. I would make you one except I ripped the mint out of my garden (I wasn't sure it was actually mint).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Keri! I agree that you can't always fix everything...

    See, I bet if you have another kid, he/she will be super easy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...