Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Crafts

I thought about saying "I'm Pregnant" as my title since it's April Fools Day. (It's NOT TRUE). Then I realized it really wasn't something I could joke about---too scary a thought to be funny right now. Ever since Skylar was about 4 months old, people have been asking when we're planning on having another one. Now that she's almost a year, it's a question I'm getting even more.

I've had people who are familiar with our history say "Since you had a hard time having her, are you going to start trying sooner to have another?" The answer people is NO. We are not going to try to get pregnant sooner than we are ready just in case I have a miscarriage.

To be honest, I can really see the appeal of an only child. I don't necessarily want Skylar to be an only child, but I see why people have only have one. She gets easier everyday and I when I see newborns it does not make me miss having a small baby in the least. In fact, I honestly feel relief that we are past that stage with her. The first two months were soooooo hard. So to answer the questions, we will entertain the thought of a second child sometime after Skylar turns two. In the meantime, I am having fun with her and have no desire to start over again with another one.
(However, I am hoping to announce that I will be having a neice or nephew in the near future.)

ANYWAY, lately Nickerdoodle and I have been feeling "crafty". She decided to start an herb garden in her window sill. I think that's the coolest thing EVER because I've always wanted an herb garden, but I kill everything, and my two attempts at growing herbs were miserable failures. I have one plant that has survived the last 4 years (I think Krandy got it for me) and apparently it doesn't need water.

We were really excited when she got her first sprouts after only 5 days! I couldn't tell you what they are (she could) but here they are in all of their blurry glory:
Personally, I've always wished I had some kind of marketable crafty skill---like photography, or pottery, or glass blowing, or even jewelry making. The most I've ever done is make pillows and curtains (I hate store-bought curtains, I don't have any in my house!). My favorite are the kind that require no sewing skills whatsoever, like the ones in my kitchen. It doesn't get any easier than draping napkins over a curtain rod. Plus I can change them easily when I get bored.
A couple of months ago I thought that it would be fun to start making baby gifts for people who already had kids and didn't really need anything. That's when it's fun to get customized things like burp cloths and bibs. So I decided to attempt customized name blocks and binky clips, mostly because they sound easy.

I decided to practice by making Skylar a set of alphabet blocks for her birthday. In the end I was pretty happy with the way they turned out. It was a nice mindless activity in the evenings while I drank a glass of wine.


I have yet to attempt the pacifier clips. I just hate the kind in the stores with the plastic clip that doesn't work. I've ordered a couple of cute ones online, but it seems silly to pay $8-10 for 6 inches of ribbon, a clip and a snap, especially since we are always losing them around the house.

Oh, and binky clips might become even more important around here since Skylar might be using a pacifier until she's 5. She has started grinding her front teeth and the sound is making me crazy. Not to mention it's really bad for her teeth. The only way to make her stop is to stick her binky in her mouth. So much for weaning her off of it....but I don't know what else to do!

2 comments:

  1. I saw the blocks on the table when I was over the other day - sounds like a fun craft to drink wine & enjoy! :) Did you like the cake? Notice: I did actually send some over for you this time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a rude thing to say: "you might have a miscarriage, so get going.."

    As if you'd somehow be concerned that Skylar is advancing too quickly in age in the midst of a miscarriage.

    People can be really stupid.

    I'm just going to put it out: two kids is really, really hard! Waiting is good! Thank the Lord Addison can get stuff for me and put her own shoes on (even if they're on the wrong feet).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...