Friday, August 28, 2009

Chivalry is dead.

The exterminator that our rental company hired came on Thursday....I was so happy to see him I almost hugged him. But that would have been weird. Plus, he and his cohort looked like....colorful characters....not the kind you go around hugging.

On wednesday, the night before, I had had yet another run in with what I now know is a Hog Snake (looks like a rattler without the rattle) except this time it was outside. I was pulling weeds and on my 3rd pull a snake was in my hand. It was a baby and I was wearing gloves, but it doesn't matter. Where there is one baby there are more. I will never do yard work again.

So I was telling him how I'd had a grand total of 5 snake encounters in one summer and he started to look very nervous and a little sweaty even. He told me that he is terrified of snakes. In fact he "doesn't do snakes", although he was fully aware that this is the reason he was summoned.

Um....okay. Isn't that like a surgeon that doesn't do operations?

He apologized for sounding like "less of a man" because of his fear of snakes. I told him it was okay, mostly because I didn't know what else to say. Besides, I had to sympathize a little...I too am terrified of snakes. Then again, I don't kill creatures for a living. I thought about suggesting a different line of work, but I held my tongue.

Turns out, the owner of the rental company, a lady named Grace, came to do the dirty work for him. She got in the crawl space under the house to check it out for snakes before the men went in. Even then, the exterminator wouldn't go down---he sent his sidekick instead.

Fortunately they were able to find the location along the front of the house where there was plenty of room for animals to get into the crawl space and then make there way in the house via openings around pipes, etc. So they filled in any potential entrances. I feel slightly safer.

In fact, I'm walking around barefoot again for the first time in days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...