Thursday, August 13, 2009

Perfect Pizza Dough

For a long time I was on the quest for the perfect pizza dough recipe, and it seemed like every recipe I tried tasted bland and not that great---like it had been made at home. Finally last summer I found a really good one that rivals a pizza parlor. Since then, pizza has been my trusty fall-back meal when I can't think of anything else or I am just unmotivated to cook. It can be as easy (cheese!) or as elaborate (Mediterranean is my fave) as you want to make it. This recipe is also great for calzones and Stromboli.

We've maybe ordered pizza out twice in the last year because making it is so much cheaper and healthier and I make exactly what I want. This recipe makes 2 medium pizzas, or 2 large thin crust pizzas. Yesterday the little girl I keep, Abby, and I made personal pizzas--you get 3 or 4 out of the batch.

Ingredients:
-1 package of yeast, or 2 1/2 tsp from the jar.
-1 tsp sugar
-1 cup water
-1/2 Tablespoon Kosher salter (the recipe calls for 1 TBSP, but it tasted too salty to me, just mess around with it)
-Extra virgin Olive Oil
-2 1/2-3 cups of flour, plus more for dusting (I've substituted half wheat, and it was great!)

Directions:
In the bowl of a mixer with a dough hook, combine yeast, sugar and warm water, stir gently to dissolve. Let the mixture stand until the yeast comes alive and starts to foam, about 5-10 minutes.

Turn the mixer on low and add the salt and 2 TBSP of olive oil. Add the flour, a little at a time, mixing at the lowest speed until all the flour has been incorporated. When the dough starts to come together, increase the the speed to medium, scraping sides periodically. If crumbly add water, if sticky add flour until dough gathers into a ball.

Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and fold it over itself a few times, kneading until it's smooth and elastic. Form the dough into a round and place in a lightly oiled bowl, turning it to coat. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel and let it rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour. (I put it in a warm oven to speed up this process!)

Once dough has risen and is spongy, turn out onto floured surface. Roll and stretch dough into a cylinder and divide into equal pieces. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes so it will be easier to roll out. Bake pizzas at 400 degrees for about 12-15 minutes depending on pan and size of pizza.

I have found it's better to have the dough on the slightly sticky side then to add too much flour and have a sturdy dough. That seems to make the difference between chewy, tender crust and dry, mediocre crust. Also, stretch it so that the crust is thinner then you would think it should be---it puffs up a lot and you'll end up with more crust than toppings if you don't. I also brush olive oil on the crust halfway through baking and it turns out perfectly. If you have leftovers bake it with butter and Cinnamon sugar and then drizzle with frosting (powdered sugar, milk and a touch of vanilla extract) or Nutella for dessert!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Keri, I made your pizza recipe for dinner tonight and it was a hit. Thanks for the inspiration, I feel like I end up making the same 5 meals on a rotating basis. Jon and Addie thank you for something new. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...