Thursday, November 12, 2009

Blitz Day

We are getting down to the wire with only 12 more days until the packers and movers come. There's a lot I should be doing, but instead I've been procrastinating, taking care of a sick baby, and other important things.....like crafts.

I might also be in denial that we're actually leaving.

Nicole suggested we have a "blitz day" (Spring Canyon flashbacks anybody?) and she offered to take Skylar away so we could get things done. So while Skylar spent the day playing with Aunt Nicole I cleaned out every closet in the house except Micah's. It's crucial that I get organized since we are moving to a small apartment and a lot of our stuff will be in storage. It has to be labeled ahead of time to make it easier on the other end. I hate this kind of thing. (Edi where are you when I need you????)

Every room looked something like this:


I was ruthless--like I was was at my parents house last summer--and tried on every piece of clothing I own and got rid of anything that didn't fit or I hadn't worn in a year. It was hard to part with my college wind pants (yes I am aware of how dorky that sounds, but they were the epitome of casual cool at the time). I told myself that it was twelve years ago and just because you can still squeeze yourself into something you wore in 1997 doesn't make it right. So good-bye athletic wind pants with the cool side zippers and fleecy lining. I'll miss you. You made me feel like the athlete I never was.

At the end of it all I had 4 more bags of giveaway clothes from my closet and 21 neatly organized plastic bins filled with baby/maternity/summer clothes and other random things. Too much stuff.

Meanwhile, a neighbor came by and offered to buy baby things he saw in our garage when he drove by. He especially wanted the peg perego stroller. For a second I was ready to sell him everything Skylar wasn't using---swing, bouncy seat, you name it. Then I realized that even though there is no baby in the immediate future, that might be a little hasty. I tend to get a little carried away once I start getting rid of things.

Micah got to celebrate veteran's day by raking up a ton of leaves. He's a stud.

Nicole and Skylar came home with a cow outfit for Jack. It's a teensy bit small for his chubby self, but he seems to like it. It even has udders, so we can pretend to milk him, but he was too shy to show them off for the camera.

As luck would have it, we got a phone call this evening that the rental agency is showing our house from 11-1 pm tomorrow. Blitz day came just in the nick of time.

4 comments:

  1. The cow costume is hilarious. Jack Jack, you rock! As for your "blitz" day... I am impressed. I did a small one a few weeks ago and found treasures too! Lots of clothes left the house. More to do.. but it was a start. I hated the moves in the Army, but they were good to purge! Love you! Hugs to all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really bad about getting rid of things too soon as well. And John is a pack rat...not a good combination! I'll keep you all in my prayers as you get ready to move. Are you ready to get back south? Is south carolina-south different than georgia-south?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I remember those pants too!!!! HAHAHA

    Keri I just love your blog it is so hilarious!!! Always brings a smile to my face!! You are a great writer!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...