Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I've gone clippie crazy.

***Updated below with instructions***

I go through spurts of craftiness. I went through a dry spell while I was trying to keep an infant alive, but it appears the dry spell is over. I had to force myself to take a breather from the baby leg warmers. The number I'd made was getting obscene, and Skylar only has two legs. But the creative bug was not yet satisfied so off I went to Hobby Lobby with a jewelry idea in mind.

However, I got sidetracked when I saw the hair clips 50% off. I mean, it was only $1.50 for 25 clips, logically I should buy 125 of them. We always need those around here. And so the dining room table became a flurry of ribbon, flowers and brads and a new (temporary) hobby was born.
The real question is, how many hair clips does one little girl need?

I'm guessing not this many........

Which brings me to the point of this post.

If you have a daughter and would like some hair clips and don't see yourself ever making them (because if you start you won't be able to stop and your children will go hungry and your husband will stop showering in protest) then let me know and I would be happy to give you some. I will even mail them, although it might take a week or two for me to get there because I have a severe post office allergy.

The clips are free of course--this isn't a money-making blog--rest assured it will remain a blog about absolutely nothing. I already have all the stuff and it just gives me an excuse to keep making them and to say "thanks for being my friend".

(The catch is I have to actually know you, if you're a random person who I've never seen before who stumbled across this blog and was bored enough to read then you're out of luck...thanks for reading though!)

And if you have a little boy then I'm sorry this doesn't apply to you, but thanks for being my friend anyway!


***In case you want to make your own, here's how I did it:

Step one: Gather your supplies-- assorted fake flowers (80% off all fall blooms at Micheal's right now!) and/or scrap booking flowers, ribbon (5/8 inches or wider), decorative metal brads (there is a huge assortment to choose from), and your clips. At this point you may want to say good-bye to your family because you won't be seeing them for awhile. It's that addictive.

Step two: Attach the ribbon to the clippie. There's no right way to do this, but this seemed to work well. Cut a piece of ribbon (or measure the clip and cut it exactly), put fabric glue along one side. Open your clip, slide the ribbon in glue side up, close the clip, and then wrap it around to the back. Hopefully that made sense:)

I use the hot glue gun to secure the back, then cut off excess ribbon.

Step three: Make your flower! You can pop off the fake flowers, take apart the petals and do whatever your heart desires. After you stack your flower assortment, put the metal brad through the hole in the flowers, and close it in back like so:

Step four: Throw a little hot glue on the clip, attach your flower, and voila!

6 comments:

  1. ME ME ME ME ME! I WANT SOME!

    I'd be more than happy to chip in for supplies/shipping. I really don't know how to be crafty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to know how you make those super cute clippies!!! Can you post the directions? I need a fun new craft!

    Thanks,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS Your baby is so stinking C U T E!!! Are you guys going to be in Kansas at all over the holidays?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haley would love some clips...If you have a pinkish and yellowish one left that you're just giving away... I know we'd have a great use for them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so cute! I am really beginning to appreciate how much fun little girl fashion is! I can't wait 'till Ally has enough hair (she already has a great start!) to use such cute hair clips!!

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Brooke! And I'll add some instructions on here as soon as I get a chance.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...