Thursday, December 2, 2010

3 weeks in a nutshell.

We're home again.

Three weeks is a long time to live out of a suitcase wearing the same clothes over and over.

Especially with a constipated toddler in tow, and a sinus infection, and placenta brain that results in extreme absent-mindedness.

Losing the camera on the first airplane was just the beginning. I'm pretty sure we left a trail of stuff behind us everywhere we went. I managed not to wreck my rental car in Texas, but then had a fender bender in my sister's new car that she so graciously let me borrow while we were in Colorado. Thank the Lord for USAA and their friendly phone people who make you feel like you are not in fact a freak of nature, but a totally normal (if not accident prone) human being.

Skylar was a great traveler, although she woke up this morning and said "I NO want to go on airplane!". I guess she's had enough.

We started our trip in Dallas at the PWOC International convention with my mom, Jenn and Hannah, and Nicole. After 4 days there, Skylar and I set out for Ft. Hood where we stayed with Ellen, Bella and new baby Caroline. We also got to see Mary-Anne, Ethan and sweet little Andrea.

Then it was off to Austin to see one of my favorite people in the whole world, Betsy, and her son Isaac. We had such a great time with them. Then we were off to Houston to stay with the Hilton's for a couple of days. It was great to catch up with Amy and her sweet family.

We flew out of Hobby Airport in Houston (in the GHETTOOOOO) on Frontier Airlines, which might be the only decent airline left out there. After returning the rental car and catching a shuttle on which Skylar sneezed out copious amounts of snot no fewer than 6 times, I lugged the car seat, suitcase, stroller with Skylar, diaper bag, purse and carry-on up to the front desk. Not as easy as it sounds. The lady took one look at me, glistening with sweat because it was 75 degrees and I was dressed for Colorado, and Skylar (who sneezed right on cue) and gave us the very first row in the plane. Score.

We had leg room galore. And freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. And a chatty flight attendant who loved little girls. Skylar even got to go in the cockpit and pull levers.

Then towards the end of the flight she yelled for the whole plane to hear "My hiney hurts!!! My poo-poo's stuck!!"

Awesome.

As soon as we landed in Colorado it hit me: homesickness. I really miss it.

As a general rule, I try not to live in the past, and I don't look too far forward. We're about 7 weeks into this deployment and I've just been kind of trucking along, taking it a day at a time. But there are so many memories in Colorado Springs, it was impossible not to miss Micah, and I lost my momentum for a few days there.

We divided our time between Nicole's house in the Springs, and Castle Rock with Micah's family for Thanksgiving. We got to see lots of great friends during the days while Nicole was at work. Skylar kept saying "Colorado is so fun!" And "Mommy, I remember!" when we revisited some of our old hang-outs.

I honestly didn't want to come back to New York. But now that I'm here, in my house again, enjoying a blizzard, it's not so bad. This town is quaint in it's New Englandy way (and by quaint I mean dingy and unfriendly). This is home, at least for now.

Time for a few Thanksgiving pictures.

Skylar "needed" an apron to cook, so Kristy rigged one up for her with a dishtowel and string.

They also made things out of PVC pipe together, which she thought was really amazing.


Grandpa found a tricycle for her with a bell, and Mimi helped her ride it:

And one of the highlights was "helping" Aunt Kristy decorate the Christmas tree. Basically Skylar followed Kristy everywhere because she was always doing something fun. Kristy got a taste of life with a toddler--constant, relentless companionship.

She was fed Pez for breakfast, chocolate for lunch and ice cream for dinner. What a life!


She loved all the extra attention she got. Being the only child surrounded by adults is exactly the way she likes it. No sharing necessary.

"Uncle Deany is a nice boy".


Nicole let Skylar decorate sugar cookies. It went pretty much as expected. She ate a bowl of frosting and sprinkles and couldn't fall asleep until almost 10.

Snuggles and stories in front of the fire with Aunt Uh-cole:
I can see why people travel during deployment (the time flies), and it was great to see so many friends and family, but now I'm ready to settle in again. I've enjoyed my little blogging hiatus, but now I'm feeling motivated and ready to share all kinds of useless information with the world.
And I'm really excited for Christmas!!!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome post thanks for sharing! I have finished three of my exams and only have three more standing between me and seeing you and Skylar! I can't wait to be up there with you guys for Christmas. Oh and that reminds me I need to call you soon to discuss Micah's present. I have his name for Christmas. I love you both dearly!

    -Joshua

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Keri. Remember how we traveled to Las Vegas during the last deployment? That was the life. I mean not really the whole deployment aspect, but the ease of roadtripping with no kids and doing whatever we felt like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had such a great time! I only lived in Colorado Springs for 9 months, but I miss it like crazy too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy what a trip! Looks like Skylar had all the attention she needed and wanted. Made me homesick to see you guys.Maybe you could come this way with Josh when he returns or fly with Becky. Your Mom was a great help for the couple of days she was here,but I don;t think we;ll ever be settled. Love you, Nana

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...