Thursday, December 3, 2009

We made it across Kansas.

I am really sad that the cord to download pictures from my camera got packed. I feel like there's no point in even blogging without pictures......

It also stresses me out a little (because I'm a huge dork) to know that I will have weeks worth of pictures on my camera by the time I get to South Carolina and will be so far behind in posting them that I will never be able to catch up. Because I know you all want to see pictures of each and every trivial thing we do during the day.

Oh well.

By the time we handed over the keys to our house last monday we were so tired of the moving out process that we weren't even sad, just relieved to be done. It was really sad saying good-bye to Nickerdoodle and then we spent one more night in Castle Rock with Krandy before heading off for good.

We now have 1/3 of our trip behind us. We got into Leavenworth, Kansas last night and are currently staying at the Rue Homestead for just under a week. It was slooooow going pulling a U-haul, especially on I-70 where the wind blows you sideways and you get 8 miles to the gallon, so we broke it up into 2 days for Skylar's sake. Micah persevered with the U-haul and 2 dogs in his car while I wrangled a toddler in the other car and resisted the urge to pass Micah and leave him in the dust so we could just. get. there. already. I'm such a loyal wife.

My days across Kansas were momentous. On day one I ate an entire bag of guacamole rice cakes out of boredom while listening to The Silly Song Countdown on repeat. I almost have The Dance of the Cucumber (veggies tales in case you don't know, and you should) completely memorized in Spanish, and definitely will by the time we get to South Carolina. I already find myself singing "Miran el pepino..." throughout the day and it's awkward every time.

That first night was spent in Hays, Kansas in a very scary Marriott that looked deceptively safe and cheery from the outside. It had happy little wreaths, a Christmas tree, and a plate of warm cookies in the lobby. But once we booked a room and entered the inner sanctuary it was like the twilight zone. Decrepit 80's decor, pealing walls, moldy tiles, rusty everything. Our room smelled like an armpit, the sink didn't drain and I was afraid to step on the carpet for fear of contracting an STD. It was a little like spending the night in a dirty 7-11 bathroom.

On day two the scenery had not improved much so I started in on a bag of gingerbread cookies while listening to Baby Neptune on repeat, until we mercifully arrived in the Flint Hills. At that point I was able to stay awake enough to switch over to gum and save my hips from myself.

Micah complained about the dog breath and dog gas in his car, but that was nothing compared to Skylar's tricks. She filled her pants 10 minutes after we left a rest stop and I had to smell it for the next 40 minutes until we stopped again. Fresh poo + heat = nausea. On another occasion her diaper overflowed into her car seat and when I pulled her out I had a lovely mess waiting for me. I guess she drinks when she's bored.

And that about sums it up. We are looking forward to doing laundry and wearing clean clothes, eating Bill's grilled delicacies and watching the horses giddy-up in the pasture. Good times.

4 comments:

  1. Should I be laughing? I am. Hang in there guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me laugh out loud on several occasions! Glad you all made it safely to Kansas. Enjoy the break before the next leg of your move!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe...I am so happy to know that I am not the only one who snacks the whole drive. I usually snack out on a bag of sunflower seeds, bing cherries, or the dreaded cookies.:) Even more so...I cracked up at your hotel experience! I hate hotels and I am constantly an anal freak (there is just no way to put it), I pack my own sheets and bedding for long stays. :) Take care and we can't wait to get together with you guys once you've settled at Jackson!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...