Monday, January 11, 2010

"Health food" we actually like.

We aren't super healthy around here (afterall, I am a chocoholic and we are eaters), but we do try to be healthier. I went through a brief stint where I bought all organic everything, and to be honest, a lot of it just didn't taste that good and wasn't even that much healthier. Skylar wouldn't eat her Annie's Organic Low Sodium Bunnies--even she knew they were fake goldfish--and it just stressed me out when she wasted them since they cost about 3 times more. At least with goldfish it's no big deal if she accidentally dumps the bag all over the floor.

So in the end I decided I'm willing to pay a little more for healthy or organic food, but only if it tastes as good as the alternative and makes my life easier. As a general rule I don't buy too many processed foods, so when I do buy them I try to go healthy. So here are a few of our family's favorite convenience foods that are tasty, a little better for us and well, convenient.

Morning Star veggie sausage. This is one of Skylar's favorite things in the world. Micah prefers the patties and makes them into egg mcmuffins.I don't like either of them because to me they taste exactly like sausage (I do love the black bean burgers though!). I have taste-tested these on both sides of the family, and if you like sausage, you will like them. A good source of protein at only 1.5 grams of fat per link.

Lesser Evil Veggie Krinkle Sticks. These are not to be confused with the veggie chips that are no better for you than potato chips. Not only do these taste way better than the original version, but 44 of them is a serving with just a few grams of fat. Great for when you just want junk food or something salty. They are so good that I would choose them over regular chips anyday--even Salt and Vinegar--and that is saying something.


Alexia Sweet Potato Julienne Fries. These suckers are yummy. Micah doesn't really care for sweet potatoes, and even he gobbled them up. They have no saturated fat, and at 6 grams per serving are about as fattening as homefries made with olive oil except that they taste better than any of my attempts at sweet potatoes fries and they are already sliced and ready to go. (As a bonus you get some vitamins in there too). I just toss them with a little seasoned salt and bake.

Agave Nectar. Awhile back we started sweetening with honey more than sugar, and in the last year it's been more agave nectar than honey. It's not as good for baking, but it has a lower glycemic index so it doesn't spike your blood sugar and has fewer calories per serving than honey and sugar, making it good for pretty much everything else. I drizzle a little bit over cottage cheese to get Skylar to eat it. Works like a charm.

3 comments:

  1. Mmm...I love those sweet potato fries too. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agave nectar? I need to google that.. where do you come up with this stuff? You are amazing! Skylar is blessed! Micah is totally spoiled!
    Hugs
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...