Thursday, January 28, 2010

The napkin dress.

As soon as I saw these cute polka dot napkins on sale at World Market last fall, I knew I wanted to make them into a dress for Skylar. I've seen pillowcase and bandana dresses for sale on Etsy, and they looked easy to make. All you need are two napkins or bandanas, some ribbon, and the ability to sew four straight lines. Actually, mine weren't even straight. Best of all, cost for supplies was $5, and you could do it for even cheaper.
As soon as it gets warm enough, we'll ditch the leggings and onsie and wear it as a sundress. When she outgrows it, it can be worn as a shirt.
I'm kind of a wing-it person, but if you like to have specific instructions, there's a great step by step tutorial here. You certainly don't have to use a pre-cut square, although it's convenient. If you have older/taller kids, just use fabric and hem the bottom. To give you an idea of how long they are, Skylar is 33 1/2 inches tall.
I'm going to try a different kind of bandana dress next, so stay tuned for part two!

8 comments:

  1. How cute and clever! Enjoy these days when you can dress her however YOU like. When they get older, they certainly have their own taste, opinions and style. Oh, how I miss those days! Aunt Raina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! Love it! I will have to remember these ideas if/ when we have a girl next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is SO cute. I just happened upon your blog this morning & plan to share your link w/ a creative momma I know who recently had a baby girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is absolutely ADORABLE!!!!! :) Way to go!

    ~Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you being all creative. And you make fun of me for making clothes....

    ReplyDelete
  6. ADORABLE! I could not do that. I have no crafty bone in my body.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely PRECIOUS! I stumbled upon your blog just tonight and I'm so glad I did. I have a 3 yr old niece that I would love to make some of these for. Thanks for the inspiration and I can't wait to see Part 2! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Skylar is already a homeschoolER you are making her clothes...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...