Friday, January 22, 2010

Vinaigrette.

I don't really care for New Year's resolutions...mostly because I'm just setting myself up for failure. But there is something about a new year that makes me want to improve myself.

My first goal was to get a Rolodex to better keep up with addresses. It's now sitting on the desk with all of the addresses from everyone who sent us a christmas card this year safely filed away. All previous addresses are in my very outdated address book in a box in the garage, on tiny peices of paper scattered across the country, or stuffed in various places--in other words, completely lost. But it's a start, and I shan't be losing your address anymore.

My second goal was to get in better shape (along with everyone else and their mom). I've been frustrated because my same old routine just hasn't been cutting it since Skylar came along. So we joined a Gold's gym down the road and I've started doing all kinds of fun classes. I absolutely LOVE pilates and I find myself really excited to go. I also love BodyPump where I am forced to do all sorts of horrible things that I would otherwise avoid like abs and push-ups. This morning I spent a horrifying hour in a step class--one of the longest of my life--where I flapped like a penguin in the back row while everyone else danced like gazelles around me as the 90 pound german instructor shouted the names of elaborate step routines. But after two weeks, I feel better all ready and my new body should be arriving in the next 7-10 business days.

My third goal was to eat more fruits and vegetables. When I worked it was easy because I packed a salad every day and lots of healthy snacks, but now I just don't feel like putting the effort into making myself anything for breakfast or lunch so I grab something fast. So far this goal is failing miserably since I've only made a salad for lunch one day this week and have eaten maybe 10 blueberries, but I guess that's a start.

So I thought I'd post my favorite salad dressing recipe. Unlike my sister-in-law, Marge, who just whips up little vinaigrettes when she makes a salad, I just keep one homemade staple in the fridge. I started making my own about a year ago, and now I just can't go back to the bottled stuff, it tastes like flavored water.

Basic Italian Vinaigrette

1/2 cup vinegar (red wine, white wine or balsamic vinegar are good)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning (or any combination of oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil, whatever you feel like)
2 pressed garlic cloves
1 Tbsp sugar


The tricky part is making sure you store it so that it doesn't leak all over your fridge. I use one of these handy salad dressing mixers that I got from a pampered chef party once (i always feel obligated to buy something). It turned out to be a good buy, because I really like it and we use it all the time.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVED BodyPump when Nathan and I used to have a gym membership. That is the one thing I miss about the gym! I always thought the class went so fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. I am never without awe... you rock!
    Hugs!
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am obsessed with BodyPump too! Its so much FUN and the time passes quickly. And thanks for my vinagrette shout out. :) I do love the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! You always look great but I totally understand about the after baby body. Oh, and flap away girl :) <3 you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love Pilates, too! My class is called "Yoga/Pilates" and mixes in some Yoga, too, which is great! We have a class called "Body Blast" which is mostly strenth training with bursts of cardio mixed in...is it the same as Body Pump? Have you tried Zumba yet? It's all the craze here in central IL. Thanks for the recipe! Aunt Raina

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...