Friday, November 11, 2011

Pomtastic.

Last week we were in the grocery store cruising through the produce section to pick up some lettuce really quickly (ha!), when Skylar yelled in her very loudest of loud voices (the one she saves for life's most exciting occasions)......

"POMEGRANATES!!!!!! MOM, THERE ARE POMEGRANATES. CAN WE GET SOME? THEY'RE BACK MOM. THEY CAME BACK! POMEGRANATES ARE BACK! CAN I HAVE ONE? MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM!"

You get the idea.

Because what is more amazing then princesses, sparkles, puppies, ponies AND rainbows combined?

The pomegranate. It's the great love of Skylar's life.

She's cried bitter tears the last TWO years when we've gone to buy one in January only to discover they've gone out of season again. Gone just like that. Not to be found anywhere, because believe me I called every store in town. I even looked on Amazon. I kid you not. (I almost blogged about it last year).

This year I will remember and prep her in advance to ease the good-bye.

I really don't get the attraction. I grew up eating them. They aren't THAT great.

So anyway, back to the awkward grocery store reunion.....

I nodded and smiled at my gawking fellow shoppers who no doubt were headed straight to the pharmacy to get some aspirin after our encounter, and grabbed a bunch of pomegranates.

Skylar wanted to sit in the back of the cart with them.

She held them....clutched them to her heart.....out of the corner of my eye I saw her give one a little kiss. And in my head I'm thinking......really??? My child is sooooo wierd. Is she going to fit in at school? What if the kids see her kissing pomegranates at lunch?

Meanwhile Skylar is still yelling to anyone who will listen.....LOOK I HAVE POMEGRANATES. MY MOM IS GETTING ME THESE. DO YOU LIKE THEM? THEY HAVE MORE. THEY ARE SOOOO JUICY. I LOVE POMEGRANATES.

I am trying to concentrate on my task at hand as I barrel race calmly maneuver through the crowded aisles, trying not to squash her excitement by saying "guess what? nobody cares!!! so please STOP!" But my blood pressure is rising. I just want to get out of the store. Why, oh why, didn't God install an off switch?

It continues through the register. She shows everyone in line. Tells the cashier how much she loves pomegranates. They smile politely, but I can see the confusion in their eyes....because nobody in the history of the world has ever been this excited about Disney World, let alone a fruit.

She requests her pomegranates be put in a "baby bag" so she can carry them herself.

She feels the need to tell the Wal-mart greeter. Then the Salvation Army bell ringer.

Then, sweet mercy, we make it to our car.

She doesn't understand why she has to wait until she gets home to eat it. Tears. Drama. Tears.

We get home.

I crack that sucker open and it's just Skylar and the pomegranate. And finally....silence. For like 30 seconds.


She had no interest in getting her picture taken, but I had to show you what happens to her face.
I get to clean up pomegranate stained faces and clothes until January.

And then there are those teething biscuits that slime everything. So appetizing.
He like pomegranates too. But not as much as sister. Not yet anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Just wondering, can you buy enough and freeze them so that she can enjoy one a month until they are back in season? I know that would be the highlight of your month. Its amazing what things our kids love that just blow our minds. Currently Haley is fixated on rocks and cannot just walk by them (you know here they are in every place that grass won't grow)...we stand and look at the assortment for minutes but they feel like hours until she picks one small enough for her pocket. but I always end up finding them in the car or her bed. ;) Love and miss you! ~Edi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha that is awesome! Those pictures of Skylar look like the scene in "Dances with Wolves" when Kevin Costner eats the "Tatonka's" heart.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...