Thursday, August 4, 2011

Rit it.

So what does one do when there is nothing left to spray paint besides your children and dogs?

Pick up some Rit Dye, that's what. Then start going through your closet and drawers. Surely there is something in there that can be revamped.

I had a college roommate who talked about this stuff and I'm ashamed to say it's taken me all these years to give it a try.

It all started with this $3 grey sundress I picked up at Old Navy last fall. (I buy all of Skylar's clothes a year in advance when they go on clearance). I remember thinking "this is a really cute play dress in a really boring color, but it'll probably just get stained anyway and it's a bargain" and I bought it. Except that little girls aren't supposed to wear grey. Which is probably why it ended up being $3. It's so drab I found myself never putting it on her. But the ruffles and buttons were cute, it had potential. So I picked up some Rit in Teal.
I figured while I was at it, I would get some black dye as well and fix all of the bleach splattered black yoga pants I currently own. Why I always wear black yoga pants when I am pouring bleach or cleaning, I cannot say. It must be my mom uniform--yoga paints (or in the winter my beloved $5 sweats from Wally World--I miss them, oh how I miss them) and a Target t-shirt in some form or another.

That's what happens when you've been out of the workforce for 3 years. All your clothes are from Target. Or if you're feeling fancy, Old Navy. Maybe for a hot date night--The Gap. But let's not get carried away.

Speaking of Target tee's, I grabbed one of my dozen whitish ones and tossed it in with the sundress. And an olive green knit skirt while I was at it, just for good measure.



I did the bucket dye method: 3 gallons of hot water + dye. I did not remove the existing colors from the fabrics first as they suggested. I wanted them to be varying shades so I left them as is. Plus I was curious to see what would happen to olive green in teal dye. They soaked for 25 minutes. Then I threw them in the wash.


Of course the white t-shirt was the truest shade. The olive green skirt is now a dark green and I like it much better.
And as for the grey dress that started it all? Much improved.

Next up: I'm going to start on Micah's 25 faded black t-shirts since he will never, ever part with them.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me of this stuff! Using it once proved to be pretty exciting! As for the Target t's.... (sigh) so convicting. :/ Have a good weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun, I might need to try out a few things. I have a pair of black yoga pants with bleach stains too. Your description of a mom wardrobe is too accurate, I miss hanging out with you. Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...