Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Painting the driveway.

If you're looking for a new activity to do outside, you need to give Sidewalk Chalk Paint a try. It is so much fun!
Crayola makes a version of it, but it can also be made at home (and for way cheaper). While I was looking for a recipe online I came across this blog with lots of fun ideas for kids--definitely worth checking out.

So here's what you need: food coloring, cornstarch, cups, paint brushes and water. Mix equal parts cornstarch and water, stir it up, add the food coloring and go beautify the neighborhood! It will look really watery when you mix it, but when it dries it looks chalky like this:

I made the paint thicker than the recipe calls for because we have dark asphalt and I wanted it to show up well. We also used a whole lot more food coloring than necessary since I let Skylar add it, but the paint still didn't stain anything. (The food coloring stains, but not once it's mixed into the cornstarch).

After almost an hour of painting, we poured the leftover paint onto the driveway and ran through it to make footprints.

When we were done playing I stripped her down and sprayed her off with the hose while she screamed like she was being killed. A neighbor watched disapprovingly from her yard.
Then Skylar asked to do it again the next day. And the next. So it appears freezing water is small price to pay for all that fun.

We will definately be trying this in the snow this winter!

5 comments:

  1. That looks so fun! Andy and I might do that in our driveway. You are the coolest mom ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your prayers! I love your blog! What a fun mom you are! Great ideas... Love them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the paint idea! We're having a play date at my house today -- so I'm off to whip us some sidewalk paint right now!:) (Btw, I do love reading your blog. Creativity is a gift!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is super cool and you definitely captured some great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So my internet has been down for the past 4 days because a huge thunderstorm killed our server or box (whatever that thing is called that gives us wireless)...and I am now back online.So I got to read 4 blog post in a row, it is kinda a like Christmas! Your blog post is the first thing I check when I get home from work. Love it!...Nic

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...