Friday, July 23, 2010

Vintage charm.

I never knew I loved old houses until I started living in one. They are quirky and high-maintenance (I'm sure those days are coming) but they more than compensate with all the character.

Here are a few of my favorite things about our house that I didn't even really notice until we moved in.....

The door knobs. They are all glass like this. Even the ones in the cellar. They sparkle at me and I love them.

There is a bread box drawer. It's completely lined with metal, and back in the day they used to slide the lid across the top of the drawer to keep their bread fresh. I use it to hold dish towels, but I think it's really fun.
Skylar's bathroom is a headache to shower in (it's only used for showers when we have guests), but I think the original plumbing is cool. The top set of knobs turns on the shower, and the bottom set fills the bath.. To the left of the front door is the mail slot. Our mailman Freddie (complete with knee socks and shoulder bag) walks up to the front door and drops it right in the foyer for us everyday. Freddie listens to his Ipod, chews his gum and smiles at everyone. I heart Freddie. He makes me feel like I live in Pleasantville.
Best of all, I can spy on the neighbors through the slot, you know...if there was anything worth seeing. There isn't. But the house is for sale. Wanna be my new neighbor? It's kind of an ugly house.
And on a totally unrelated note, I love Mt. Rainier cherries. I wait all summer for them to drop to a reasonable price (like, below $4 a pound). Then I scarf them up. We ate them at breakfast and I decided they were so pretty I had to take pictures of them.
Mmmmm.

Kristy taught Skylar how to say "cheers!" so now she does it with everything.

Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Yes I'd move into the ugliest house on the block if I could be your neighbor again (but only if you'd help me fix it up. and if it wasn't in upstate new york).

    ReplyDelete
  2. So super cool! I love old houses too, they have so much character. I love the bread box, how cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers!
    Hugs too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...