Thursday, September 2, 2010

Light Breakfast Casserole.

Breakfast is so not my thing. In fact, I kind of think it's a waste of a meal. I'd much rather eat leftover pizza or a turkey sandwich in the morning.

As fate would have it, breakfast is Micah's favorite. He eats the exact same thing every day: 3 eggs whites and 1 whole egg scrambled with a splash of milk and season salt, and an English Muffin with peanut butter and wheat germ sprinkled on top. Maybe oatmeal if he's feeling wild and crazy. Pancakes on Saturday.

I on the other hand, usually wait a couple of hours and then end up eating a bowl of cereal because it's easy. Then I'm hungry again in two hours.

I used to have a really good recipe for a breakfast casserole with green chilis and cheese. It was part of my breakfast casserole rotation--I had 3 standbys that I made for all of our morning activities whenever it was my turn to bring something. It was everyone's favorite, probably because it had a stick of butter, and a pound of cheese.....all the good stuff.

Anyway, I lost the recipe and wanted to try to recreate it. Then I decided to make a healthy version while I was at it. In the end, it didn't taste very much like the original but it's still really good. I actually measured my ingredients this time and wrote down my recipe. Shocker. Then I calculated all the fat content while I was at it. It came out to 4 grams of fat per piece. Not bad right? This is perfect for me because I can make it at the beginning of the week, and then just heat up a piece every morning. Protein=full for more than 2 hours.

Green Chili and Cheese Egg Bake


4 whole eggs + 4 egg whites

1-4 oz can green chilis

1/2 c. fat free cottage cheese

1/2 tsp of salt

ground pepper to taste (and/or whatever spices tickle your fancy)

1/4 c whole wheat white flour

1/4 c skim milk

1/2 tsp baking powder

4 ounces of grated 2% milk sharp cheddar (pretty much the only cheese I use)

Mix together and pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 375 for 18 minutes. Cut into 12 pieces.


I like putting mine on a toasted English muffin because I'm a sandwich girl and I can eat it while I'm running out the door--late for wherever I'm going. I hate being late. But at least this way I'm not hungry and late. That's the worst.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious...now if I can figure out how to make it gluten free and dairy free I will give it a try. You have inspired me though...I know I can come up with some sort of egg casserole for my crew...thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...