Thursday, August 26, 2010

Blog Security

So does anyone out there ever get concerned with the possible risks of putting your life on the internet? Lately I've worried that I might be compromising my family's safety.

I mean, I don't think the majority of the world cares about my silly blog, and I've always operated under the assumption that friends and family were the only ones interested, and maybe the occasional passer-by. But lately I've started to wonder if that's a little naive. What if blogging actually makes me a target for some pervert or something? Or worse, Skylar. It wouldn't be that hard to track us down if you really wanted to.

Do any of my blogging friends ever worry about attracting someone crazy?

It's been an on-going discussion in our house for the last year or so. The alternative is to make it an invite-only blog, but that's pretty inconvenient for everyone. Or of course to stop blogging altogether.

I just don't know......

6 comments:

  1. This is something I thought a lot about before I started blogging because I was pretty sensitive about Ally. I finally decided that the likelihood of good coming out of my blog was greater than the likelihood of something bad.

    But I just wanted to say I understand the quandry, and revisit the topic myself from time to time.

    And as long as I get an invitation, it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah if it would make you more comfortable I'd do invite only for your blog. You know I'd still read it daily!

    I don't really worry about it too much. Maybe I should, but I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We talk about it a lot...especially because of my husband's job. We try to keep things off - last names, specific locations, jobs, etc. But it today's technology - it is impossible to keep it completely secure. Pray about it and see what you feel led to do...peace of mind is always best. I love being able to read and keep up with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is strange, I often think about this same topic. But then again, I think about how routine my day is. I go running on the same days every week at just about the same time...so I just pray that the Lord keeps my family safe and leave it in his hands. It is pretty scarey to think about though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I stopped blogging because of lack of security and Trav's uncomfortableness with this lack of security. I have thought about it several times since then... and if I were to ever blog again I'd not use names just initials (I guess in that movie Julie and Julia one of the characters does that) and I would probably be much less specific about location names and just use geographical locations to describe the place (like the mountains, the lake, the midwest, the northeast coast...stuff like that) . You could always start with something like this, its not much but at least its something. And it might make you feel a bit more secure and the people who know you personally would still know specifics but the random people from Europe who read your blog would just get the big idea not the personal details that you want to protect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ironically, I'm not at all worried about random people in Europe, in fact I think that's really cool. It's people close enough to do something crazy that worry me!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...