Monday, August 23, 2010

Tomatoes.

Our nice neighbor brought us over a grocery bag of tomatoes from her garden. They were ripe and ready to eat, but there were a lot of them. I'm not really a tomato person, don't like them in salads--I'll eat them because their good for me, but I won't enjoy it. So I had to think of a way to use them up.
My grandmother makes yummy cheese and tomato sandwiches so I made some for lunch in her honor and ohmygoodness they were some good tomatoes. The ones in the store don't even compare. Sometimes the simplest food is the best.
I ate these sandwiches for lunch twice, then I made the rest into tomato sauce. I've made fresh tomato sauce several times when I've made pasta, and decided the end result wasn't really worth the effort.

But as it turns out, when you use really good tomatoes, you get a really good sauce. (Which I guess is kind of a no-brainer now that I think about it). In fact, I wish I could make my own sauce all the time. I might have to grow my own tomatoes next year.
I didn't use a recipe, I just kept it simple.

First, I poached the tomatoes in almost boiling water for a couple of minutes until the skins started to crack. Then I cooled them and the skin just peeled right off.

I put all my skinned tomatoes (about 4 lbs?) in a pot on medium heat and added:
-1 big splash of olive oil
-3 minced garlic cloves
-some kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
-lots of Italian seasonings, whatever I could find (dried rosemary, oregano, basil, thyme, etc)
-a little onion powder
-a couple splashes of red wine (this actually made a huge difference in the flavor)

It simmered for an hour, and I occasionally used a potato masher to squish it up. When it had cooked down and thickened up a little bit I pureed it, and served it over pasta (not homemade this time) with some fresh ground turkey meatballs and Parmesan. Totally worth the effort.
We're also trying to enjoy the last of the summer fruit while we can. It already feels like fall around here. Anything is good on angel food cake, but this is probably my favorite:

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...