Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Calling all gardeners.

Can anybody with a knowledge of plants help me out? What ARE these things growing in my yard?
They start out green and then turn orange, and when you open it up there appears to be a cherry tomato inside. It's like something from a sci-fi movie.
After pondering for days I decided they might be Tomatillos, but from what I've seen on-line tomatillos are only green and much bigger than this. I actually tried tasting one (probably not a recommended investigation tactic) and it was kind of sour.

Anybody know?

4 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure they are a close relative to the tomatillo, but they are actually called ground cherries. I think maybe it was sour because they aren't technically ripe until they fall from the plant and the husk is more of a light tan and translucent. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. I agree. If it isn't a tomatillo then it is a ground cherry. We grew some in our garden one year but didn't like them very much. I think they are naturally kind of sour. A lot of people make jam out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks a lot like Physalis. You can puree them, add some sugar, heat it up a little bit, and pour it over ice cream. Some people dip them in dark chocolate, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your help ladies! I doubt I would have ever figured that out on my own!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...