Thursday, August 19, 2010

Hoochie Barbie.

We've been on vacation for the last 10 days. One of those days was spent in NYC. We decided we had to take Skylar to FAO Schwartz, mostly because it's air conditioned and Central Park is not. (100 degrees in the city is no joke people).

Of all the things she saw in The Toy Store of all Toy Stores, she was the most intrigued by the Barbie Runway. I think she could have watched it go around all day.
I know there is a lot of debate out there regarding Barbie and her influence on young girl's body image, and to be honest I haven't given it too much thought. I will say that I spent many hours playing with Barbies and her ridiculous body proportions haven't affected my self-esteem in anyway. In fact, I've pretty much always thought Barbie was harmless.

That is until I saw the new Barbies. Lord have mercy.

Behold, the next generation. Are they strippers? hookers? and WHY?


What happened to Veterinarian Barbie? Doctor Barbie? Fully clothed Barbie? This is how Micah feels about Barbie...........

Seeing the Hoochie Barbies definitely made me realize I am out of touch with what is being marketed to young girls these days. Yikes.

4 comments:

  1. Holy hell, those Barbies are crazy! Scary and crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Micah's face! Priceless!

    And as for the new Barbie? YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow-I had no idea! Can we travel back in time to our era, where toys were harmless and life was easy? Oh, and so glad that you had a chance to go to NYC! It's awesome, isn't it?! It's a lot better in the fall-cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup - we are an anti-Barbie household for that very reason! I think you are well on your way to becoming a homeschool mom :) Just kidding! Hope you guys had a good vacation!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...